2018 Virginia Teacher of the Year during a September 18 recognition ceremony at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond.- Michelle Cottrell-Williams, a social studies teacher at Wakefield High in Arlington County, was named
View video from the 2018 Teacher of the Year announcement.
Since 1984, the National PTA and the National Education Association have designated a week in May as a special time to honor and celebrate teachers for the important role they play in the growth and development of our children. Virginia takes great pride in joining with these national organizations to #ThankATeacherVA each year.
- Governor Terry McAuliffe’s 2017 Teacher Appreciation Proclamation
- Board of Education’s 2017 Teacher Appreciation Resolution of Recognition-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
- Printable social media template -This is a PDF document. (PDF)
- Play video – State Superintendent Steven R. Staples and Board of Education President Billy K. Cannaday Jr. on Teacher Appreciation Week
Virginia Teacher of the Year Program
All public and accredited nonpublic schools are invited to participate in the Mary V. Bicouvaris Virginia Teacher of the Year Program to select the Virginia Teacher of the Year and to honor teachers who represent the best in teaching in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the nation.
The program is open to all teachers in pre-kindergarten through grade 12 who possess a current, renewable Virginia teaching license, including school librarians, school counselors, and reading specialists. Teachers must be employed in a Virginia public or accredited nonpublic school. Candidates should be dedicated, knowledgeable and skilled.
In 2006, the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure named the program in honor of the 1989 Virginia and National Teacher of the Year, Mary V. Bicouvaris.
The Milken Family Foundation National Educator Awards are designed to reward elementary and secondary school teachers, principals and administrators who promote excellence and innovation in public education.
The 2016 Milken Educator Award recipient is Lindsay Murray, a fourth-grade teacher at W.E. Cundiff Elementary in Roanoke County.
National Teacher Recognition Programs
Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
The Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) is the highest recognition that a kindergarten through 12th-grade mathematics or science teacher may receive for outstanding teaching in the United States.
- Board of Education Recognizes State Finalists For Presidential Math & Science Teaching Award – See news release October 27, 2017
- Virginia teachers receive 2013 mathematics and science honors – See news release July 7, 2015
- 2012 Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching – See news release December 20, 2013
- 2011 Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching – See news release, June 11, 2012.
National History Teacher of the Year Award
2017 Virginia History Teacher of the Year – Luke Roadcap is the 2017 Virginia History Teacher of the Year. Roadcap is a sixth-grade teacher of United States History to 1865 at Elkton Middle in Rockingham County.