Virginia Modified Achievement Standards Test (VMAST)
The Virginia Modified Achievement Standards Test (VMAST) is intended for students with disabilities who are being instructed in grade level content but are not likely to achieve proficiency in the same time frame as their non-disabled peers. In the VMAST assessments, research-based supports and simplifications identified by Virginia educators have been applied to existing online reading and mathematics items to make them more accessible for students with disabilities.
Mathematics VMAST assessments for grades 3-8 and Algebra I are being administered beginning in spring 2012. VMAST assessments for grades 3-8 and end-of-course (EOC) reading are being field-tested in spring 2012. The reading VMAST assessments will be operational beginning in spring 2013.
- Selecting Appropriate Students for VMAST 2011-2012 (PPT)
- VMAST Participation Criteria Form (Word) – developed by Virginia educators to define the characteristics of students for whom VMAST would be an appropriate assessment.
- Sample VMAST Participation Criteria Form (PDF)
- Procedures for Participation of Students with Disabilities in Virginia's Accountability System (PDF) – Guidelines for providing accommodations and documentation.
Test Administration Resources
Spring 2012 Field Test: VMAST Examiner’s Manual for Grades 3-8 Reading and EOC Reading
- VMAST Practice Items and Practice Item Guides