SOL Assessment Committees
News & Announcements
February 15, 2019 is the Deadline to Submit Nominations for the 2019 Standards of Learning Item and Test Review Committees.
VDOE is seeking nominations for the 2019 Standards of Learning Item and Test Review Committees. For more information and a review schedule, refer to Superintendent’s Memo 341-18-This is a Word document..
December 17 is the Deadline to Submit Nominations for the Mathematics Grades 3-8 Standard Setting Committee
VDOE is seeking nominations for the 2018 Standards of Learning Mathematics Grades 3-8 Standard Setting Review Committee. For more information and a review schedule, refer to Superintendent’s Memo 316-18-This is a Word document..
Virginia teachers, school administrators and content specialists participate in the development of SOL assessments by serving on committees that review test items and forms to ensure that they measure student knowledge accurately and fairly. VDOE encourages educators to participate in this process.
Play Video (MP4) - an overview of the item and test review process, along with reflections from Virginia educators who have participated in this process
Requires the free Apple QuickTime player plug-in.
Applicants apply through a web-based Assessment Committee Application Processing System (ACAPS)
- Applicants are required to provide a professional reference and approval from the division superintendent or designee.
- All applicants and references must have a teaching license on file with the Virginia Department of Education.
- To use the online system, you must have an account with a user name and password. Instructions for creating an account are available on the application page.
CriteriaCommittee members are chosen based on the following criteria:
- Grade-level experience and content area expertise;
- In-depth knowledge of the SOL;
- Instructional/supervisory experience with students of varied learning styles, abilities, and aptitudes, including students with disabilities and students with limited English proficiency; and
- Balanced regional representation.
ResponsibilitiesCommittee members selected for SOL Assessment Committees are expected to:
- Serve a one-year term and attend all daily scheduled meetings in their entirety (refer to schedule-This is a Word document.);
- Sign a Non-Disclosure/Conflict of Interest Agreement;
- Participate in committee meetings scheduled by the Virginia Department of Education;
- Examine test items to confirm a match with the SOL;
- Review test items for appropriateness and fairness;
- Examine field test data for potential test items; and
- Recommend whether items are to be included in the test item bank.