Virginia Standards of Learning & Common Core State Standards
Comparison & Analysis
The Board of Education documents below provide side-by-side comparisons of the 2010 English SOL and 2009 Mathematics SOL and the Common Core State Standards. The comparisons were made using Virginia’s complete standards program for supporting teaching and learning – including the curriculum frameworks for each content area.
- Comparison of Virginia’s 2010 English Standards of Learning with the Common Core State Standards for English/Language Arts (PDF)
- Comparison of Virginia’s 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (PDF)
Virginia’s college and career-ready performance expectations also are aligned to the Common Core and international standards.
- Comparison between Virginia’s College and Career Ready English Performance Expectations and the Common Core Anchor Standards (PDF)
Key Board of Education Actions
- News Release, June 24, 2010 – Board of Education Reaffirms Support for SOLs; Opposes Imposition of National Standards
- News Release, June 16, 2010 – Board President Reaffirms Support for SOLs; Opposes Imposition of Common Core