Performance-Based & Local Alternative Assessments
News & Announcements
April 27, 2017 – FROM THE GOVERNOR'S OFFICE – Governor McAuliffe Announces Grant to Connect Student Testing with 21st Century Skills – $1.1 million in funding received for implementation of performance-based assessments
Performance-based assessments measure subject-matter proficiency and the ability of students to apply the content and skills they have learned. Performance-based assessments may also assess acquisition of the “Five C’s” – critical thinking, creativity, communication, collaboration and citizenship – described in the Board of Education’s Profile of a Virginia Graduate. Performance-based assessments are designed to encourage deeper learning and are an essential component of a balanced testing program.
The Virginia Department of Education – supported by a $1.1 million grant from the Hewlett Foundation – is developing resources and regional and statewide professional learning opportunities to help school divisions develop the capacity to design performance-based assessments and provide instruction that supports deeper learning.
Information about new resources and opportunities will be posted on this page of the VDOE website as it becomes available.
Virginia Quality Criterion Tool for Performance-Based Assessments
- Criterion Tool-This is a PDF document.(Word) – This document details a set of criteria for the development of performance assessments that measure the application of content knowledge and skills.
Local Alternative Assessments
The 2014 General Assembly eliminated five Standards of Learning assessments in grades 3-7 while requiring local school divisions to continue to teach the content and measure student achievement with local alternative assessments, including authentic or performance-based assessments.
School divisions must certify that they have provided instruction and administered an alternative assessment, consistent with Board of Education guidelines, to students in grades and subject areas that no longer have a corresponding SOL test.
Guidelines for Local Alternative Assessments 2016-2017 through 2018-2019 -This is a PDF document.(PDF) – As announced in Superintendent’s Memo #284-16, the new local alternative assessment guidelines replace the Local Alternative Assessment Guidelines for 2014-2015-This is a PDF document. (PDF) originally adopted by the board in September 2014. The new guidelines clarify the expectation that school divisions are to demonstrate progress in moving toward the use of performance assessments in their schools. School divisions are expected to use the Framework for Local Alternative Assessment Implementation included in the new guidelines to assess their progress in implementing performance assessments.
- Getting Started with Performance Based Assessments – Sharing Our Journey
- Frequently Asked Questions About Local Alternative Assessments-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
- Assessment Literacy Glossary-This is a PDF document. (PDF) – a list of terms and definitions related to Local Alternative Assessments.
- The Framework for Local Alternative Assessment Implementation-This is a PDF document. (PDF) – provides common language for school divisions to use in determining their progress in implementing performance assessments and in identifying next steps.
- Play Video: Through of the Framework for Alternative Assessment Implementation
- Performance Task Development Cycle (PDF) – a flow chart for the development of Performance Tasks addressing these steps:
- Process Skills
- Task Design
- Evaluation Design
- Assessing For Deeper Learning: A Transformative Pathway to Prepare Virginia Students for the Future – 2016 Conference Materials