Although there is no applicable SOL test associated with driver education instruction, the SOLs serve as the Board of Education’s approved driver-education and traffic-safety program of instruction for public and private school programs and are intended to provide students with a detailed understanding of the fundamentals of driving.
2015 Driver Education Standards of Learning
Teachers can begin implementing the new standards during the 2015-2016 school year. School divisions should begin to:
- Review and align their health curricula with the revised standards
- Review current resource materials and correlate them with the revised standards
- Identify new materials where needed
- Provide professional development for teachers as appropriate
|Course||Standards of Learning|
|All Driver Education||Word / PDF||NA|
- Curriculum and Administrative Guide for Driver Education in Virginia
As required by §22.1-205 of the Code of Virginia, the Virginia Board of Education has established a standardized program of driver education fro public, private, and commercial schools. The Driver Education Standards of Learning for Driver Education in Virginia prescribe the content and administrative requirements of a state-approved driver education program.