- The Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework comprise the English and language arts content that teachers in Virginia are expected to teach and students are expected to learn.
- The Enhanced Scope and Sequence Guide is used by teachers to align instruction with the standards and cover the essential understandings, knowledge and skills found in the curriculum framework.
- Test blueprints provide information on how SOL assessments are constructed.
- Released tests are SOL assessments recently administered in the commonwealth’s public schools.
Standards of Learning
Scope & Sequence
|Latest Released Tests
(Also see Released Tests for all available tests)
|All English||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||NA||NA||NA|
|Kindergarten||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||NA|
|Grade 1||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||
|Grade 2||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||
|Grade 3||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Reading||Reading|
|Grade 4||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Reading||Reading|
|Grade 5||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Reading / Writing||Reading|
|Grade 6||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Reading / Writing||Reading|
|Grade 7||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Reading / Writing||Reading|
|Grade 8||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Reading / Writing||Reading|
|Grade 9||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Reading / Writing||Reading|
|Grade 10||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Reading / Writing||Reading|
|Grade 11||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Reading / Writing||Reading|
|Grade 12||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Reading / Writing||NA|
|End of Course: Reading||NA||NA||NA||Reading||Reading|
|End of Course:
|NA||NA||NA||Writing||Writing and Prompt|
Additional 2002 Resources
- K-3 Reading Achievement Record Samples (Revised 2003):
- Elementary Reading Comprehension & Vocabulary Strategies Videos – demonstrations by Virginia teachers of vocabulary and comprehension strategies
- Effective Elementary Reading Programs Assessment and Planning Instrument (PDF) – provides criteria to evaluate the implementation of schoolwide reading programs
- Elementary Reading Program Planning and Implementation Tool (PDF) – provides guidance in developing, implementing, sustaining and refining a comprehensive and effective schoolwide reading program and serves as a self-assessment tool to evaluate the overall reading program
- Assessment Instrument for Planning Effective Professional Development in Reading (PDF) – overview of components of reading instruction supported by scientific research and a guide to content that should be emphasized in a professional development program
- K-3 English Achievement Record Sample – Schools maintain a record of achievement in English for each K-3 student to monitor progress and to promote achievement on third-grade SOL tests. This record accompanies a student who transfers to a new school.
- Virginia Animals and their Habitats – a model comprehensive, cross-curricular second-grade unit that addresses 40 grade-two Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) in science, mathematics, English, and history and social science.
- Middle School Reading Modules in Support of Project Graduation (PDF) – more than 70 one-hour lesson plans to enhance the teaching of reading aligned to the 2002 English SOL and supporting the teaching of fiction, nonfiction and poetry
- Middle School Writing Modules in Support of Project Graduation (PDF) – more than 70 one-hour lesson plans that focus on using the three-domain rubric, setting up and using writing portfolios, and revising and editing lessons to encourage the development of a strong essay
- Creating Active Readers (presented in partnership with WHRO) – video series allows middle school English teachers to observe and apply reading comprehension instruction into English classes
- Technology Sparks, Ideas for Teachers: Integrating Technology with the Virginia Standards of Learning (PDF) – resources and suggestions for incorporating technology into core curricular subjects
- Project Graduation English: Reading Skills (PDF) – reading modules on comprehension strategies using both nonfiction and informational texts from Web-based resources.
- Project Graduation English: Writing Skills (PDF) – writing modules with strategies for developing strong essays that include examples of activities using Virginias three-domain rubric: composing; written expression; usage and mechanics.