Registration is open for the 2014 English Language Arts SOL Institutes in October – The institutes will focus on nonfiction and fiction reading, writing, successful strategies with English Language Learners (ELL) and Students with Disabilities (SWD). For more information, see 2014 English SOL Institutes.
Standards of Learning Documents for English
Adopted 2010, to be fully implemented in 2012-2013
- The Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework comprise the English language arts content that teachers in Virginia are expected to teach and students are expected to learn.
- Test blueprints provide information on how SOL and VMAST assessments are constructed.
- The Enhanced Scope and Sequence (ESS) Sample Lesson Plans align instruction with the standards and cover the essential understandings, knowledge and skills found in the curriculum framework.
- SOL Practice Items and VMAST Practice Items (based on the 2010 English SOL) provide examples of state assessment items.
Standards of Learning
Resources for Instruction & Assessment
|Standards of Learning (SOL) Tests||Virginia Modified
Word | PDF
NEW Using Statewide SOL Test Results to Guide Instruction – Examples of challenging SOL content based on statewide results
Online Writing Resources – teaching strategies and lesson plans, video links, SOL progression charts, graphic organizers, and resource links.
English Standards of Learning Crosswalk Between the 2010 and 2002 Standards (PDF) – provides detail on additions, deletions and changes included in the 2002 English SOL.
Word | PDF
|Grade 3||Grade 5||Grade 3|
|Grade 4||Grade 4||Grade 4|
|Grade 5||Grade 5||Grade 5|
|Grade 6||Grades 6-8
Word | PDF
|Grade 6||Grade 8||Grade 6|
|Grade 7||Grade 7||Grade 7|
|Grade 8||Grade 8||Grade 8|
|Grade 9||Grades 9-12
Word | PDF
|End of Course (EOC)||End of Course (EOC)||End of Course (EOC)|
English Performance Expectations define the level of achievement students must reach to be academically prepared for success in entry-level credit-bearing college courses. The expectations were developed through the College & Career Readiness Initiative – a process that involved faculty from Virginia's two- and four-year colleges and universities, members of the business community and high school educators.
- College & Career Ready Performance Expectations (PDF)
- English Capstone Course Information
- Correlation of Virginia’s English Performance Expectations with Virginia’s 2010 English Standards of Learning (PDF)
Virginia's 2010 English Standards of Learning and the Common Core State Standards for English/Language Arts
- Comparison of Virginia’s 2010 English Standards of Learning with the Common Core State Standards for English/Language Arts (PDF)
- More about the Standards of Learning and the Common Core State Standards
- The National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA) collects, coordinates and conveys a broad range of research and resources in support of an inclusive approach to high quality education for English language learners (ELLs).
- VGLA Preparation of Evidence Optional Forms
The forms on this page may be used to assist with the development of a collection of evidence (COE) that is submitted as a Virginia Grade Level Alternative (VGLA) assessment. Print the directions and follow the procedures that have been outlined.
- English Standards of Learning and related resources for the SOL adopted in 2002.
- All English (Word) | (PDF)
- Kindergarten (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 1 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 2 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 3 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 4 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 5 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 6 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 7 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 8 (Word) | (PDF)
- 9-12 English (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 3 (Reading and Writing)
- Grade 5: Reading/Literature and Research
- Grade 5: Writing
- Grade 8: Reading/Literature and Research
- Grade 8: Writing
- EOC: Reading/Literature and Research (Grade 9-12)
- EOC: Writing (Grade 9-12)
English Instructional Resources aligned to 2002 English SOL
- Elementary School Resources
- Middle School Resources
- High School Resources
- English as a Second Language