The Standards & SOL-based Instructional Resources
The Standards of Learning (SOL) describe the commonwealth's expectations for student learning and achievement in grades K-12 in English, mathematics, science, history/social science, technology, the fine arts, foreign language, health and physical education, and driver education.
Select a content area on the menu to the right to view the following SOL-related resources:
- The Standards of Learning (SOL) – expectations for student learning and achievement.
- The Curriculum frameworks for English, mathematics, science and history/social science detail the specific knowledge and skills students must possess to meet the standards for these subjects.
- Enhanced scope and sequence guides provide sample lesson plans and instructional resources to help teachers align their classroom instruction with the standards.
- Test blueprints detail specific standards covered by a test, reporting categories of test items, number of test items, and general information about how test questions are constructed.
- Released tests and test items are representative of the content and skills included in the SOL assessments and present the format of the tests and questions. Select a subject from the menu on the right or see all released test resources.
Virginia Standards of Learning & Common Core Standards
VDOE and the Board of Education are using the commonwealth’s established process for adopting and revising academic standards to incorporate content from the Common Core State Standards into the Standards of Learning (SOL). In doing so, the board and department are ensuring that expectations for teaching and learning in Virginia schools are comparable to those of the voluntary national standards.
- More about the Virginia Standards of Learning & Common Core State Standards