Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) – Adopted 2009
- The Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework comprise the mathematics content that teachers in Virginia are expected to teach and students are expected to learn.
- Test Blueprints provide information on how SOL assessments and VMAST assessments are constructed.
- Enhanced Scope and Sequence (ESS) Sample Lesson Plans are aligned with the 2009 Mathematics SOL Curriculum Framework; searchable by keyword and SOL.
- SOL Practice Items and VMAST Practice Items (based on the 2009 Mathematics SOL) and Released SOL Tests (based on the 2001 Mathematics SOL) provide examples of state assessment items.
Standards of Learning
Resources for Instruction & Assessment
|Standards of Learning (SOL) Test||Virginia Modified
|All Mathematics||Word | PDF||NA||NA||
ESS Sample Lesson Plans – Searchable by keyword and SOL
Instructional Videos for Teachers – Videos provided as support for the implementation of the 2009 Mathematics SOL
SOL Practice Items – Provide examples of the new content and increased rigor of the 2009 Mathematics SOL
VMAST Practice Items – Provide examples of supports and simplifications applied to test items to make them more accessible to eligible students with disabilities
Released SOL Tests – Released SOL tests in all subjects
Mathematics Crosswalk Between the 2009 and 2001 Standards (PDF) – Provides detail on changes included in the 2009 Mathematics SOL
Using Statewide SOL Test Results to Guide Instruction – Examples of challenging SOL content based on statewide results
|Kindergarten||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Grade 1||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Grade 2||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Grade 3||Word | PDF||Word | PDF|
|Grade 4||Word | PDF||Word | PDF|
|Grade 5||Word | PDF||Word | PDF|
|Grade 6||Word | PDF||Word | PDF|
|Grade 7||Word | PDF||Word | PDF|
|Grade 8||Word | PDF||Word | PDF|
|Algebra I||Word | PDF||Word | PDF|
|Geometry||Word | PDF||Word | PDF|
|Algebra II||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF **|
|Trigonometry||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Algebra II & Trigonometry||Word | PDF||N/A||NA|
|Algebra, Functions & Data Analysis||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Computer Mathematics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Probability & Statistics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Discrete Mathematics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Mathematical Analysis||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
*Curriculum Framework documents include contents of supplement adopted by the Board of Education on January 13, 2011, to ensure alignment with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics. See below for more information on Common Core.
** This document has been revised.
Mathematics Performance Expectations define the level of achievement students must reach to be academically prepared for success in entry-level credit-bearing college courses. The expectations were developed through the College & Career Readiness Initiative –a process that involved faculty from Virginia's two- and four-year colleges and universities, members of the business community and high school educators.
- College & Career Ready Performance Expectations (PDF)
- Mathematics Capstone Course Information
- Correlation of Virginia’s Mathematics Performance Expectations with Virginia’s 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning (PDF)
Virginia's 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics
- Comparison of Virginia’s 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (PDF)
- More about the Standards of Learning and the Common Core State Standards
- Ancillary Test Materials
Ancillary test materials include mathematics formula sheets for grades 6-8 and End-of-course Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II; the Table of Standard Normal Probabilities (z-table); sample grid paper; and Chemistry Periodic Table of the Elements.
- SOL Practice Items
Practice items provide examples of the new content and increased rigor of the 2009 Mathematics SOL - including examples of new technology-enhanced items for grades 6-8, Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II. Technology-enhanced items allow students to indicate their responses in ways other than multiple choice.
- Approved Calculators for the Virginia Standards of Learning Assessments (PDF)
This chart lists the approved calculators for use on the mathematics Standards of Learning sssessments, listed by grade level.