News & Announcements
2018 Science Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework Open for Public Comment
On April 25, 2019, the Virginia Board of Education accepted for initial review the 2018 Science Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework. The curriculum framework serves as the key guidance for instructional leaders and teachers of science (elementary, middle, high school) in planning science curricula and science programming.
Public Comment on the 2018 Science Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework-This is a Word document. can be provided through the 2018 Science Standards Curriculum Framework survey and through interactive webinars scheduled for:
- May 8, 2019 7:30 AM
- May 8, 2019 4:00 PM
- May 14, 2019 4:00 PM
- May 14, 2019 6:00 PM
Registered participants will receive an email several days before the event in order to access the webinar.
2018 Science Standards of Learning Approved by the Board of Education
On October 18, 2018, the Virginia Board of Education approved the 2018 Science Standards of Learning. The Standards of Learning are a critical communication with the citizens of the Commonwealth, parents, the business community, and higher education, in that these standards convey expectations and intended outcomes for K-12 education. The expectation is that students achieve these outcomes as they learn science content and engage in Science and Engineering Practices.
- 2018 Science Standards of Learning-This is a Word document.
- 2018 Summary of Changes from 2010 Science Standards-This is a Word document.
For more information, refer to Superintendent's Memo 172-18 and the Science Standards of Learning (SOL) Review Timeline and view the videos on the 2018 Science Standards of Learning YouTube playlist with VDOE Science Coordinator Anne Petersen.
Science Content Guidelines
Content guidelines are in the process of being constructed for all Biology II and Earth Science II courses. The intention of the content guidelines are to inform instruction and to ensure that the content is covered equitably across the Commonwealth.
Standards of Learning Documents for Science – Adopted 2010
- The Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework comprise the science content that teachers in Virginia are expected to teach and students are expected to learn.
Superintendent's Memos Regarding Implementation
- Superintendent’s Memorandum #031-10 – Beginning in 2012-2013, the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests will assess full implementation of the 2010 Science SOL. In preparation for the implementation of the new assessments measuring the 2010 SOL, new science test blueprints have been developed.
- Superintendent’s Memo #258-11 – Implementation of the 2010 Science Standards of Learning Assessments
- Superintendent’s Memo #213-12 – New Science Tests Based on the 2010 Science Standards of Learning
Standards of Learning
|Grade 3||Grade 3 Science (PDF)|
|Grade 5||Grade 5 Science (PDF)
|Physical Science||Grade 8 Science (PDF)|
|Earth Science||Earth Science (PDF)|
Resources for Instruction
- Using Statewide SOL Test Results to Guide Instruction – Examples of challenging SOL content based on statewide results
- ESS Sample Lesson Plans – align instruction with the 2010 Science SOL by providing examples of how the knowledge, skills and processes found in the SOL and curriculum framework can be presented to students in the classroom.
- Practices for Science Investigation Progression (PDF) – The Practices for Science Investigation Progression chart identifies the grade level at which specific science skills/practices are formally introduced and how they progress throughout the 2010 Science Standards of Learning.
- K-3 Science Progression (PDF) – Shows the progression of standards from kindergarten through third grade and how they relate to reporting categories on the Grade 3 Science SOL Test Blueprint.
- Science Standards of Learning Crosswalk Between the 2010 and 2003 Standards (PDF) – Provides detail on additions, deletions and changes included in the 2010 Science SOL.
- Science Instructional Resources
Science Content Guidelines
Content guidelines are in the process of being constructed for all Biology II and Earth Science II courses. The intention of the content guidelines are to inform instruction and to ensure that the content is covered equitably across the Commonwealth. These are guidelines and divisions may adapt these to meet the need of the students in their schools. Currently, guidelines are available for the areas indicated below and will be added as more peer-reviewed guidelines are developed. Provide feedback on these guidelines to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Biology II: Anatomy & Physiology-This is a Word document.
- Environmental Science-This is a Word document.
- Earth Science II: Astronomy-This is a Word document.
- Biology II: Ecology-This is a Word document.
Resources for Assessment
- SOL Practice Items in TestNav 8 – Provide examples of the new content and increased rigor of the 2010 Science SOL
- Released SOL Tests & Item Sets – Tests and item sets representative of the content and skills included in the Virginia SOL tests.
- Test Manipulatives
Students are permitted to use a Periodic Table of Elements on the EOC Chemistry test. These test manipulatives are included with your secure shipments for paper/pencil testing. For online testing, the following manipulatives are available on the toolbar in TestNav™. Please be sure to refer to the paper/pencil manuals and/or the online testing manuals for more information on test manipulatives.
- Alternatives to Animal Dissection, BOE Guidelines(PDF) – The Board of Education sets forth guidelines to be implemented by local school divisions regarding alternative dissection techniques.
Previous Version SOL
- Science Standards of Learning and related resources for the SOL adopted in 2003.