Science Standards of Learning (SOL) Review – On January 28, 2016, the Virginia Board of Education accepted the Superintendent of Public Instruction’s report that provided a rationale and recommended timeline for the review and revision of the 2010 Science Standards of Learning and 2010 Science Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework. For more information, see Superintendent's Memo 052-16.
- The Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework comprise the science content that teachers in Virginia are expected to teach and students are expected to learn.
- The Enhanced Scope and Sequence Guide is used by teachers to align instruction with the standards and cover the essential understandings, knowledge and skills found in the curriculum framework.
- Test blueprints provide information on how SOL assessments are constructed.
- Released tests and item sets are SOL assessments recently administered in the commonwealth’s public schools.
- Superintendent’s Memorandum #031-10 – Beginning in 2012-2013, the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests will assess full implementation of the 2010 Science SOL. In preparation for the implementation of the new assessments measuring the 2010 SOL, new science test blueprints have been developed.
- Superintendent’s Memo #258-11 – Implementation of the 2010 Science Standards of Learning Assessments
- Superintendent’s Memo #213-12 – New Science Tests Based on the 2010 Science Standards of Learning
Standards of Learning
Resources for Instruction & Assessment
|All Science||Word / PDF||
Using Statewide SOL Test Results to Guide Instruction – Examples of challenging SOL content based on statewide results
ESS Sample Lesson Plans – align instruction with the 2010 Science SOL by providing examples of how the knowledge, skills and processes found in the SOL and curriculum framework can be presented to students in the classroom.
|Kindergarten||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||
|Grade 1||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|Grade 2||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|Grade 3||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|Grade 4||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||
Grade 5 Science (PDF)
|Grade 5||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|Grade 6||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||
|Life Science||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|Physical Science||Word / PDF||Word / PDF|
|Earth Science||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Earth Science (PDF)|
|Biology||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Biology (PDF)|
|Chemistry||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||Chemistry (PDF)|
|Physics||Word / PDF||Word / PDF||N/A|
- Test Manipulatives
Students are permitted to use a Periodic Table of Elements on the EOC Chemistry test. These test manipulatives are included with your secure shipments for paper/pencil testing. For online testing, the following manipulatives are available on the toolbar in TestNav™. Please be sure to refer to the paper/pencil manuals and/or the online testing manuals for more information on test manipulatives.
- Alternatives to Animal Dissection, BOE Guidelines(PDF) – The Board of Education sets forth guidelines to be implemented by local school divisions regarding alternative dissection techniques.
- VGLA Preparation of Evidence Optional Forms – The forms on this page may be used to assist with the development of a collection of evidence (COE) that is submitted as a Virginia Grade Level Alternative (VGLA) assessment. Print the directions and follow the procedures that have been outlined.
- Science Standards of Learning and related resources for the SOL adopted in 2003.
- All Science (Word) | (PDF)
- Kindergarten (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 1 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 2 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 3 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 4 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 5 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 6 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 7 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 8 (Word) | (PDF)
- 6-12 Science (Word) | (PDF)