Virginia Department of Education
Need vaccine? Learn how to get your shot at Vaccinate.Virginia.gov or call 1-877-VAX-IN VA. 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Language translation available, TTY users dial 7-1-1.
¿Necesitas vacunarte? Enterate como conseguir tu vacuna Vaccinate.Virginia.gov o llamando al 1-877-829-4682 de 8am a 8pm. Traduccion disponible en tu idioma. Usuarios de TTY pueden marcar al 7-1-1.
COVID-19 & Virginia Schools
New information from the VDOE this week includes:
- Virginia updated its Interim Guidance for Schools-This is a PDF document. on March 23, based on the CDC’s recently revised Operational Strategy for K-12 Schools through Phased Mitigation to permit for 3 feet of physical distancing (instead of 6 feet) in certain circumstances.
- Governor Northam has revised Executive Order 72 effective April 1, 2021-This is a PDF document.. Among other changes, the revised EO includes rules for high school graduation ceremonies.
- Visit the VDOE Interim Guidance for Reopening webpage for related resources from VDH and VDOE.
- Virginia School Reopening March 2021
Navigating Virginia Education in Uncertain Times
Virginia LEARNS: Navigating Virginia Education in Uncertain Times provides recommendations and identifies resources and best practices related to equity, curricula — especially in literacy and mathematics — remediation and intervention strategies, assessments, data analysis, student and staff wellness, and technology to support instruction and learning.
Month of the Military Child
Throughout the Nation and Commonwealth educators and communities will take time in April to recognize the contributions of children whose parents serve in the military. Frequent moves, family separations through deployments, and reintegration following deployments can make school, home, and community-life challenging for military children. Yet, even in such circumstances, these students continually demonstrate resilience and courage. VDOE encourages schools to use this collection of resource materials and ideas in planning their own Month of the Military Child activities throughout the month of April.
Stay Informed with TeacherDirect
TeacherDirect provides a direct line of communication with classroom teachers and educators. TeacherDirect includes information about new instructional resources created by VDOE staff as well as professional development, grant opportunities, and other information of special interest to teachers and their students.
Education is our most effective tool to reduce poverty, address racism, and sustain economic advancement for all Virginians. The Commonwealth is committed to ensuring that students and families in Virginia, regardless of their race, economic status, or the languages they speak at home, feel welcomed in their schools. Visit VirginiaIsForLearners.virginia.gov/EdEquityVA to learn more about the commitment to ensure that the Commonwealth’s public education system is positioned to achieve equitable academic outcomes for all students.
School Quality Profiles
Virginia’s School Quality Profiles provide information about accreditation, student achievement, college and career readiness, program completion, school safety, teacher quality and other topics of interest to parents and the general public. School Quality Profile reports are available for schools, school divisions and for the commonwealth.
Featured Site Resources
News & Announcements
- April 15, 2021 - State Superintendent Announces $600,000 in Grants to Upgrade CTE Equipment-This is a Word document.
- April 13, 2021 - Virginia LEARNS Workgroup Releases Resources and Guidance on School Reopening and Recovery-This is a Word document.
- April 8, 2021 - Governor Northam Announces $46.6 Million in Federal Funding for Virginia Private Schools
- Read all News Releases