Virginia Department of Education
COVID-19 & Virginia Schools
New information from the VDOE this week includes:
- VDOE has updated the State Snapshot of Operational Status of Divisions
- VDOE and the Board of Education hosted a PreK-12 Agency Briefing, which is available on the VDOE YouTube Channel.
- The Virginia High School League has released new guidelines for athletics and competitions.
- VDH updated its Interim Guidance for Mitigation Measures in K-12 School Settings-This is a PDF document.
- VDH published new Outbreaks in Educational Settings Dashboard, with information about outbreaks in public and private schools
Native American Heritage Month
Native American Heritage Month is an opportunity to celebrate the thousands of American Indians in Virginia whose abilities and contributions strengthen Virginia’s economy, enrich Virginia’s diverse culture, and invigorate Virginia’s communities. Watch The Virginia Indians: Meet the Tribes video and visit Virginia's First People Past and Present for resources to teach the history, geography and economic systems of Virginia Indians, both past and present.
Family Engagement in Education Month
Family Engagement in Education Month-This is a PDF document. is an opportunity to recognize the importance of families and schools working together to build better futures for all children. The VDOE and BOE believes that families and schools working in collaboration can create meaningful relationships that lead to significant gains in student achievement and success. We strongly encourage local school officials to develop plans and policies to enhance family engagement in their children’s schools, lives, and in the education community. Refer to the Family Engagement Resource Flyer-This is a Word document. for a variety of resources to promote and highlight Family Engagement in Education Month.
The Virginia Mathematics Pathways Initiative (VMPI) is a joint initiative among the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) and the Virginia Community College System (VCCS). The Initiative supports the Profile of a Virginia Graduate by redefining mathematics pathways for students in the Commonwealth to address the knowledge, skills, experiences, and attributes that students must attain to be successful in college and/or the workforce and to be “life ready.”
Education is our most effective tool to reduce poverty, address racism, and sustain economic advancement for all Virginians. The Commonwealth is committed to ensuring that students and families in Virginia, regardless of their race, economic status, or the languages they speak at home, feel welcomed in their schools. Visit VirginiaIsForLearners.virginia.gov/EdEquityVA to learn more about the commitment to ensure that the Commonwealth’s public education system is positioned to achieve equitable academic outcomes for all students.
School Quality Profiles
Virginia’s School Quality Profiles provide information about accreditation, student achievement, college and career readiness, program completion, school safety, teacher quality and other topics of interest to parents and the general public. School Quality Profile reports are available for schools, school divisions and for the commonwealth.
Featured Site Resources
News & Announcements
- November 19, 2020 - State Superintendent, Board of Education and Secretary of Education Approve SOL Flexibility-This is a Word document.
- November 13, 2020 - VDOE and Flying Classroom Launch Richmond-Area After-School Stem Initiative-This is a Word document.
- November 12, 2020 - Louisa County Custodian and Virginia Beach Bus Driver Nominees for RISE Award-This is a Word document.
- Read all News Releases