|DATE:||March 20, 2018|
|FROM:||Steven M. Constantino, Chief Academic Officer/Assistant Superintendent for Instruction|
Virginia Department of Education Sponsored School Counselor Spring Symposiums
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), in partnership with the Virginia School Counselor Association (VSCA), will be hosting eight regional symposiums for division teams.
School counseling division directors or principals can select a five-person team from the division and spend a day learning about Virginia’s new vision to prepare students to be “life ready” through the Profile of a Virginia Graduate. Information and resources will be shared with participants and teams will analyze school counseling practices and develop an action plan that best meets the needs of their students.
Topics for the Symposium:
- Profile of a Virginia Graduate
- Graduation requirements
- New K-8 requirements for students
- Frequently Asked Questions and Scenarios
- Information and resources to assist school divisions in meeting new requirements
- Comprehensive and developmental data-driven school counseling programs
- Effective communication and collaboration practices to better serve students
Division teams of five are invited to attend: Teams can include the division school counseling director, an elementary, middle, and high school counselor, and a school-level administrator (principal or assistant principal) or an instructional support specialist (school psychologist, school social worker, or nurse).
Each symposium will be from 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Symposium Locations: Regional training locations are below:
Region 1, Tuesday, April 17, 2018
Henrico County Public Schools
Confederate Hills Recreation Center
302 Lee Avenue, Henrico, Virginia 23075 – Region 1 Google Maps
Region 2, Tuesday, April 10, 2018
Newport News Police Department
9710 Jefferson Ave, Newport News, Virginia 23605 – Region 2 Google Maps
Region 3, Friday, April 13, 2018
University of Mary Washington, Dahlgren Campus.
4224 University Drive, King George, Virginia 22485 – Region 3 Google Maps
Region 4, Thursday, May 10, 2018
Prince William County Public Schools
Edward L. Kelly Leadership Center
14715 Bristow Road, Manassas, Virginia 20112 – Region 4 Google Maps
Region 5, Thursday, April 12, 2018
Rockingham County Public Schools
Massanutten Career and Technical Education Center
325 Pleasant Valley Road, Harrisonburg, Virginia 22801 – Region 5 Google Maps
Region 6, Monday, April 30, 2018
Virginia Western Community College
3094 Colonial Ave SW, Roanoke, Virginia 24015 – Region 6 Google Maps
Region 7, Tuesday, May 1, 2018
New River Community College
5251 State Rd 373, Dublin, Virginia 24084 – Region 7 Google Maps
Region 8, Thursday, May 7, 2018
Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
820 Bruce Street, South Boston, VA 24592 – Region 8 Google Maps
10:30am – 3:30pm
- To Register - https://goo.gl/forms/WkY9j8t2KxsxMago2
- A follow up announcement will be sent to registrants when all locations and dates have been finalized that will include date-specific information (parking, meeting room location, etc).
- Each team member will need to register individually.