Superintendent's Memo #167-09

State seal, Commonwealth of Virginia

Department of Education

June 12, 2009

TO: Division Superintendents

FROM: Patricia I. Wright, Superintendent of Public Instruction

SUBJECT: Authorization of Signatures in Absence of Division Superintendent

Local school boards may designate other personnel to sign or authorize department documents in the absence of the division superintendent. These designees may be authorized for a definite or an indefinite period of time. The Department of Education must be notified of such board action and the authorized signature must be on file in the department before requests for reimbursements or other official actions that would normally require the division superintendent's signature can be processed.

When a designee authorization expires, a new form must be completed to re-establish signature authority. Online Management of Education Grant Awards (OMEGA) access is impacted when designee authorization expires. Once a designee's authorization expires OMEGA access automatically terminates on that date.

To identify authorized designees, a Web form is included as a part of the Educational Registry Application Data Collection (ERA) accessible via SSWS. After identifying the authorized person(s), print the "Authorization of Signatures" form, enter the respective authorization expiration date(s) and obtain the required signatures and the seal of the Clerk of the School Board to establish signature authorization.

If the person(s) authorized to sign department documents should change at any time, the Web form must be updated to reflect the change(s), and a new "Authorization of Signatures" form signed, seal affixed, and mailed to the Department of Education.

Please mail the completed form to the Department of Education at the following address:

Educational Applications
Office of Educational Information Management
Virginia Department of Education
P. O. Box 2120
Richmond, Virginia 23218-2120

For further information, please contact Jean Gray, by e-mail at or by telephone at (804) 786-3112 (option 6).

PIW / SMW / jag