Superintendent’s Memo #247-13

State seal, Commonwealth of Virginia

Department of Education

September 20, 2013

TO:  Division Superintendents

FROM:  Patricia I. Wright, Superintendent of Public Instruction

SUBJECT:  Distribution of Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2012 IDEA Section 611 Funds Under States’ Failure to Maintain Financial Support for Special Education and Related Services

The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) has received a small supplement to its Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2012 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Section 611 grant.  Pursuant to section 1514 of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2013 (the Act), the VDOE has been directed by the U. S. Department of Education’s Office of Special Education Programs to distribute to all local education agencies (LEAs) the amount by which any state’s allocation of section 611(d) of the IDEA was reduced in FFY 2012 as a result of that state’s failure to maintain state financial support for special education and related services.

Pursuant to the Act, the VDOE is allocating all funds received under the supplement to LEAs in accordance with 20 U.S.C. §1411(f) and 34 CFR §300.705.  The FFY 2012 IDEA school-age flow through award amount is increased by $55,466.  The revised allocated amounts will be distributed using the same formula applied to determine the FFY 2012 IDEA, Section 611 sub-grant awards.  Attached is a revised Part B, Section 611 sub-grant award spreadsheet containing the additional funds that are available to LEAs.  These funds are available for obligation until September 30, 2014, in accordance with 20 U.S.C. §1225(b)(1) and 34 CFR §76.709(a).

The attached allocations will appear in the Virginia Department of Education's Online Management of Education Grant Awards (OMEGA) system, and award recipients must submit online budget amendments to allocate the supplemental funds.  Questions should be directed to Tracie L. Coleman, special education budget and finance manager, Division of Special Education and Student Services, at  or (804) 225-2704 or Sherry Hubbard at or (804) 225-2339.



  1. Revised Section 611, Flow-through Funds (PDF)