July 22, 2016
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: Nominations for Workplace Readiness Skills for the Commonwealth Assessment Review Committee
The Office of Career and Technical Education (CTE) is accepting nominations for the Workplace Readiness Skills (WRS) for the Commonwealth Assessment Review Committee. Committee members will be responsible for reviewing the performance of WRS test items and developing new items for the test item bank. The meeting will be held at the CTE Resource Center, Glen Allen, Virginia, October 25-26, 2016.
Approximately 25 applicants will be selected to serve on the WRS review committee. School divisions are encouraged to nominate one representative who may either be a CTE teacher, school counselor, or administrator. All nominees must complete the Web-based application using the CTE Application Processing System (CTEAPS). The Web-based application process requires a professional reference and division-level approval (division superintendent or designee). Procedures for submitting the Web-based application are available on the Virginia Department of Education Web site at https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/cteaps. Completed applications should be submitted to the VDOE using CTEAPS by September 20, 2016.
Reimbursement will be provided as follows:
- School divisions will be reimbursed for substitute teachers needed for teachers serving on the committee; and
- Teachers, school counselors, and administrators will be reimbursed for lodging, meals, and mileage in accordance with state guidelines.
Committee members will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Teacher’s expertise in content areas of CTE in the classroom and workplace environments and their instructional experiences with differentiated learning;
- School counselor’s experience in advising students pertaining to career opportunities in professional studies and technical fields; and
- Administrator’s experience in the field of career and technical education and in-depth knowledge of CTE competency-based education.
If you have questions, please contact the Office of Career and Technical Education, at CTE@doe.virginia.gov or by telephone at (804) 225-2052.