July 22, 2016

TO:  Division Superintendents

FROM:  Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction

SUBJECT: 2015-2016 Annual Report, Programs for the Gifted

§22.1-18.1 of the Code of Virginia includes the following provision:

Each local school division shall submit the annual report, "Programs for the Gifted," as required by Board regulations, to the Department of Education.

The 2015-2016 annual report, Programs for the Gifted, will be collected through the Gifted Education application contained in the Virginia Department of Education's Single Sign-On for Web Systems (SSWS) portal.  Access to the Gifted Education application for school division personnel should be requested through the school division's SSWS account manager.

This application will collect administrator data and program services data.  The division's student membership and referral data will be drawn from the school division's end-of-year student records collection.  If the school division has not yet submitted the end-of-year student records data, the application will display a message indicating that the user may not proceed until the school division's student records data are submitted.

After entering its administrator and program services data, each division must print a verification report for the division superintendent's signature.  The original, signed verification report should be mailed to Dr. Donna L. Poland, specialist for governor’s schools and gifted education, Office of Mathematics and Governor’s Schools, Virginia Department of Education, P.O. Box 2120, Richmond, VA 23218-2120, by September 12, 2016.

Gifted education coordinators are able to search the database for information submitted by the school division for school years 2006-2007 through 2014-2015.  After September 16, 2016, the 2015-2016 data will also be searchable by school division gifted education coordinators.

Questions regarding the annual report document or the submission process may be addressed to Dr. Poland by e-mail at Donna.Poland@doe.virginia.gov or by telephone at (804) 225-2884.