September 16, 2016
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: 2016-2017 Title III, Part A, Allocations under Provisions of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA)
The purpose of this memorandum is to announce division allocations for the funding streams available under Title III, Part A, of ESEA for the 2016-2017 school year:
- Limited English Proficient Allocations (LEP Award); and
- Immigrant Children and Youth Allocations (IY Award).
The "LEP Award" column in Attachment A provides the 2016-2017 LEP awards for all individual school divisions based on the fall 2015 reported enrollment of LEP students.
Divisions Receiving an LEP Award of $10,000 or More
Divisions with an approved 2016-2017 Title III application in the Online Management of Educational Grant Awards (OMEGA) system in the Single Sign-On for Web Systems (SSWS) portal must submit an amendment to the Title III application through OMEGA reflecting their 2016-2017 LEP allocation.
Divisions Receiving an LEP Award of Less than $10,000
Under Section 3247(b) of ESEA, a school division with an LEP award of less than $10,000 cannot access the funds unless the division submits a joint application with one or more divisions in a Title III consortium. The collective total LEP allocation of divisions participating in the consortium must be $10,000 or more. The Department considers 2016-2017 Title III consortium memberships finalized as of August 1, 2016.
Title III Statewide Consortium Participants
- Adjusted Allocations
The LEP awards in Attachment A represent the allocation for all individual divisions prior to adjustments applied based on participation in the 2016-2017 Title III statewide consortium. Participating divisions should refer to the Title III statewide consortium Web page for final adjusted LEP awards. Please see the 2016-2017 tab in the Consortium Documents folder.
- Adjusted Allocations
Title III Independent Consortium Participants
- For divisions participating in an independent Title III consortium with an approved 2016-2017 Title III application in OMEGA, the division serving as the fiscal lead on behalf of consortium members must submit through OMEGA an amendment to the approved Title III application reflecting the total 2016-2017 LEP award for the consortium.
Questions related to the 2016-2017 Title III statewide consortium should be referred to Dr. Christopher Kelly, Education Coordinator, at Christopher.Kelly@doe.virginia.gov or (804) 225-2122.
Divisions Receivingan IY Award
The "Immigrant Children and Youth Award" column in Attachment A provides the 2016-2017 IY awards for qualifying divisions. These funds are awarded to certain divisions meeting the state's criteria for a significant increase of IY students. All divisions receiving an IY award must submit an IY application in OMEGA using the process described below, as applicable to the division:
- Divisions receiving an LEP award of $10,000 or more with an approved 2016-2017 Title III individual application in OMEGA must submit an amendment to the Title III application through OMEGA reflecting their 2016-2017 IY allocation.
- Divisions receiving an LEP award of $10,000 or more with an approved 2016-2017 Title III consolidated application in OMEGA must submit a separate Title III application through OMEGA reflecting their 2016-2017 IY allocation.
- Divisions receiving an LEP award of under $10,000 without a 2016-2017 Title III application in OMEGA must submit a separate Title III application through OMEGA reflecting their 2016-2017 IY allocation.
When submitting an application amendment or a separate IY application for IY funds through OMEGA, divisions should complete all information in the Cover Page and Budget sections of the application, as well as the IY tab. Applications forIY funds are due to the Department by Friday, October 14, 2016.
TERMS OF GRANT AWARD
Attachment B provides grant award terms for all portions of the Title III, Part A, award. The Title III, Part A, allocation is available through the reimbursement process as of July 1, 2016, pending an approved application for the funding stream being reimbursed.
UNCLAIMED FUNDS UNDER TITLE III, PART A
If the Department has not received an application for any portion of the 2016-2017 Title III, Part A, funds from qualifying divisions by October 31, 2016, the unclaimed funds will be reallocated to eligible school divisions as required under Section 3114(c).
Questions about the Title III, Part A, allocations should be addressed to Stacy Freeman, Title III Specialist, at Stacy.Freeman@doe.virginia.gov or (804) 371-0778.
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, Title III, Part A, Language Instruction for Limited English Proficient and Immigrant Students 2016-2017 Grant Allocations (PDF)
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, Title III, Part A, Language Instruction for Limited English Proficient and Immigrant Students, Terms of Grant Award (PDF)