September 30, 2016
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: 2016-2017 National Title I Distinguished Schools Recognition Program
Virginia has received information regarding the application process for the 2016-2017 National Title I Distinguished Schools Recognition Program. This project, sponsored by the National Title I Association, recognizes qualifying Title I schools from each state for their outstanding achievements in education. Only two schools per state are selected each year as National Title I Distinguished Schools.
In order for a school to qualify for the National Title I Distinguished School award it must have:
- A poverty rate of at least 35 percent for each of the two most current consecutive school years;
- Demonstrated high academic achievement for two or more of the most current consecutive school years; and
- Obtained full state accreditation for the same two or more consecutive years.
A school may be nominated to represent one of the following categories:
- Category 1: Exceptional student performance for two consecutive years;
- Category 2: Closing the achievement gap between student groups; or
- Category 3: Excellence in serving special populations of students (e.g., homeless, migrant, English learners, etc.).
School divisions are invited to nominate one Title I school to represent one of the three categories indicated above. A review process will be used to select two Virginia schools for national recognition. The 2016-2017 National Title I Distinguished Schools Recognition Program intent to submit form, instructions for developing the application, and school participation form are attached.
The Office of Program Administration and Accountability will host an informational webinar session for division Title I Coordinators and school principals interested in the National Title I Distinguished Schools application process on Tuesday, October 6, 2016, at 10 a.m. Information on joining the webinar will be provided to Title I Coordinators via email.
School divisions wishing to nominate a school should submit an intent-to-apply form (Attachment A) by email to NationalTitleIDistinguishedSchools@doe.virginia.gov by Wednesday, October 12, 2016. The application must be submitted electronically to the referenced email address by 3 p.m. on Friday, October 21, 2016 (Attachment B). On the email subject line, please indicate the school division's name and the category (example: Richmond City, Category 1). Each application must be accompanied by the School Participation Form (Attachment C).
Recipients of National Title I Distinguished School award will be notified by letter in November. The two selected schools will be honored during the 2017 National Title I Conference, February 22-25, 2017, in Long Beach, California. For questions regarding this program, please contact Gabie Frazier, Title I Specialist, at (804) 225-2907 or Gabie.Frazier@doe.virginia.gov.
- National Title I Distinguished Schools Recognition Program – 2016-2017 School Intent-to-Apply Form (Word)
- National Title I Distinguished Schools Recognition Program – 2016-2017 Instructions for Developing the Application (PDF)
- National Title I Distinguished Schools Recognition Program – 2016-2017 School Participation Form (Word)