April 21, 2017
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: Nominations for 2017-2018 Career and Technical Education Curriculum Review Committees
The Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education is accepting nominations for the 2017-2018 curriculum review committees. School divisions may nominate a Career and Technical Education (CTE) teacher for each of the 34 committees. Approximately 12 applicants will be selected to serve on each committee. The schedule for the committees is in Attachment A-This is a PDF document. (PDF).
All nominees who wish to serve on a committee must complete the web-based application using the CTE Application Processing System (CTEAPS). The web-based application process requires a professional reference and division-level approval (division superintendent or designee). Procedures for submitting the web-based application are available on the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) website at CTEAPS. Completed applications should be submitted to the VDOE using CTEAPS by Friday, June 30, 2017.
Committee meetings are conducted face-to-face, virtually with work assignments, or a combination of the two. All face-to-face meetings will be conducted at the CTE Resource Center in Henrico County. Virtual review committees are facilitated by the CTE Resource Center writer-editors and technical assistance provided by state cluster specialists. Teachers serving on the virtual committees will conduct the curriculum review outside of school hours.
Reimbursement will be provided as follows:
- School divisions will be reimbursed for substitute teachers needed for teachers serving on the face-to-face committees;
- Teachers participating on face-to-face committees will be reimbursed for lodging, meals, and mileage in accordance with state guidelines; and
- Teachers participating in virtual reviews beyond the school day will receive a $150 honorarium.
Committee members will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Teacher’s experience and content area expertise;
- In-depth knowledge of CTE competency-based education; and
- Instructional experience with special populations.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education staff, at CTE@doe.virginia.gov or by telephone at (804) 225-2052.