|DATE:||August 25, 2017|
|FROM:||Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction|
2017-2018 National Title I Distinguished Schools Recognition Program
Virginia has received information regarding the application process for the 2017-2018 National Title I Distinguished Schools Recognition Program. This project, sponsored by the National Title I Association, recognizes qualifying Title I schools from each state for their outstanding achievements in education. Only two schools per state are selected each year as National Title I Distinguished Schools.
In order for a school to qualify for the National Title I Distinguished School award, it must have:
- A poverty rate of at least 35 percent for each of the two most current consecutive school years;
- Demonstrated high academic achievement for two or more of the most current consecutive school years; and
- Obtained full state accreditation for the same two or more consecutive years.
A school may be nominated to represent one of the following categories:
- Category 1: Exceptional student performance for two consecutive years;
- Category 2: Closing the achievement gap between student groups; or
- Category 3: Excellence in serving special populations of students (e.g., homeless, migrant, English learners, etc.).
School divisions are invited to nominate one Title I school to represent one of the three categories indicated above. A review process will be used to select two Virginia schools for national recognition. The 2017-2018 National Title I Distinguished Schools Recognition Program intent to submit form, instructions for developing the application, and school participation form are attached.
School divisions wishing to nominate a school should submit an intent-to-apply form (Attachment A) by email to NationalTitleIDistinguishedSchools@doe.virginia.gov by Friday, September 8, 2017. The application must be submitted electronically to the referenced email address by 3 p.m. on Friday, September 29, 2017 (Attachment B). On the email subject line, please indicate the school division’s name and the category. Each application must be accompanied by the School Participation Form (Attachment C).
Recipients of the National Title I Distinguished School award will be notified by letter in October. The two selected schools will be honored during the 2018 National Title I Conference, February 8-11, 2018, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For questions regarding this program, please contact Shyla Vesitis, Title I Coordinator, at (804) 225-3711 or Shyla.Vesitis@doe.virginia.gov.
- National Title I Distinguished Schools Recognition Program – 2017-2018 School Intent-to-Apply Form-This is a Word document. (Word)
- National Title I Distinguished Schools Recognition Program – 2017-2018 Instructions for Developing the Application-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
- National Title I Distinguished Schools Recognition Program – 2017-2018 School Participation Form-This is a Word document. (Word)