|DATE:||November 10, 2017|
|FROM:||Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction|
2018 National Youth Science Camp (NYSC)
The National Youth Science Camp (NYSC) is a broad science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) experience that incorporates creative and performing arts as well as outdoor experience in an intense month-long camp for young scientists. In a rustic setting in West Virginia, students from around the country are challenged academically in exciting lectures and hands-on studies on current STEM topics. The intense month-long program also offers participants the opportunity to experience a wide variety of outdoor activities that have minimal impact on the environment and are challenging for the experienced but accessible to those who have never participated in outdoor excursions. The NYSC is an all-expenses-paid program. The National Youth Science Foundation will arrange round trip transportation from an airport near the delegate’s home to Charleston, West Virginia.
Two students will be chosen to represent Virginia as delegates to the National Youth Science Camp. Eligible applicants must meet the following criteria:
- must be candidates for high school graduation between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018;
- must be able to attend the entire NYSC program in Charleston, West Virginia, tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, June 27, 2018, and depart on Saturday, July 21, 2018;
- must demonstrate superior academic proficiency, including recognition in science, technology, engineering, and/or mathematics;
- must demonstrate an application of leadership abilities and social maturity through involvement in school and community activities;
- must demonstrate skills and achievements outside the realm of science and outside the realm of academic pursuits;
- must demonstrate a curiosity and an eagerness to explore many and varied topics; and
- must intend to pursue higher education and a career in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics related field.
Information about the National Youth Science Camp and an application may be obtained at the National Youth Science Camp website. The application must be submitted through the NYSC website by February 28, 2018.
Applications will be reviewed by an expert panel based on the criteria required in the application. Applicants will be notified by March 31, 2018, regarding their selection status for the 2018 National Youth Science Camp.
Questions should be directed to Anne M. Petersen, Science Coordinator, Office of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, by email at Anne.Petersen@doe.virginia.gov or by telephone at (804) 225-2676.