|DATE:||February 23, 2018|
|FROM:||Steven M. Constantino, Ed.D., Acting Superintendent of Public Instruction|
Environmental Science Institute
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is pleased to announce four professional development opportunities to support the instruction of the new Environmental Science Course. These professional development Institutes, designed to support the Environmental Science course that was recently added to the Board of Education Approved Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements for the Standard, Advanced Studies, and Modified Standard Diplomas in Virginia Public Schools, are intended to prepare teachers to teach the Environmental Science Content Guidelines and to provide support strategies, including field experiences, to be used in the instruction of the course.
Four two-day Environmental Science Institutes will be held throughout the Commonwealth.
- New College Institute, 191 Fayette Street, Martinsville, VA 24112, July 11-12, 2018
- Charlottesville High School, 1400 Melbourne Road, Charlottesville, VA 22901, July 18-19, 2018
- Battlefield High School, 15000 Graduation Drive, Haymarket, VA 20169, July 25-26, 2018
- Sandy Bottom Nature Park, 1255 Big Bethel Road, Hampton, VA 23666; August 15-16, 2018
Each Environmental Science Institute will:
- Provide content support for the implementation of the Environmental Science Course Content Guidelines;
- Provide strategies and lessons that can support classroom instruction;
- Provide resources that teachers may use to facilitate the planning and instruction of Environmental Science;
- Support the teaching of the Environmental Science through both classroom and field activities;
- Provide strategies to assess student knowledge and skills both in the field and in the classroom through teacher designed performance-based assessments.
Virginia Department of Education funding will cover the cost of registration and meals for all participants. The cost of lodging for participants living more than 50 miles from the Institute site will also be covered. School divisions are encouraged to cover mileage expenses for participants as this cost is not assumed by the Virginia Department of Education; however, this is not a requirement of the program. Enrollment in each Institute is limited to 30 teachers. Participant selection will provide representation from each Superintendents’ region.
Registration can be completed online at Environmental Science Institute through March 30, 2018. Notification of acceptance will be provided to applicants and the applicants’ school principals by email on or before April 15, 2018.
For more information about the Environmental Science Institute or about the new Environmental Science Course, please contact Anne Petersen, Science Coordinator, Office of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (804) 225-2676.