|DATE:||March 30, 2018|
|FROM:||Steven M. Constantino, Ed.D., Acting Superintendent of Public Instruction|
Elementary Physical Science Institute
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is pleased to announce a professional development opportunity to support the instruction of elementary physical science. This professional development institute, designed to support fourth- and fifth-grade teachers, will address the teaching of physical science concepts and the integration of mathematics and language arts with science.
The four-day Elementary Physical Science Institute will be held at The Bryan Innovation Lab at The Steward School, 11600 Gayton Road, Richmond, VA 23238 from July 30-August 2.
The Elementary Physical Science Institute will:
- Provide in-depth instruction in the concepts of force, motion, energy, waves, and matter;
- Provide instructional pedagogy to improve lesson delivery;
- Engage teachers in hands-on laboratory experiences that utilize science process skills and that can be incorporated into classroom instruction;
- Utilize and scaffold inquiry learning; and
- Integrate language arts and mathematics through the manipulation of numbers, creation and analysis of graphs, reading, writing, oral communication, and research within the context of scientific investigations.
VDOE funding will cover the cost of registration and meals for all participants. The cost of lodging for participants living more than 50 miles from the Institute site will also be covered. School divisions are encouraged to cover mileage expenses for participants as this cost is not assumed by the VDOE; however, this is not a requirement of the program. Enrollment in the Institute is limited to 25 teachers. Participant selection will provide representation from each Superintendents’ region.
Participant registration is online at Elementary Physical Science Institute: This link takes you out of the Virginia Department of Education website. through April 20, 2018. Notification of acceptance will be provided to applicants and the applicants’ school principals by email on or before May 4, 2018.
For more information about the Elementary Physical Science Institute, please contact Laura Casdorph, Science Specialist, Office of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org: Email link. or by telephone at (804) 786-6418.