|DATE:||June 29, 2018|
|FROM:||James F. Lane, Superintendent of Public Instruction|
School Safety Audit Requirements for 2018-2019
In accordance with Section §22.1-279.8: This link takes you out of the Virginia Department of Education website. of the Code of Virginia, schools in Virginia are required to complete an annual School Safety Survey. Superintendents are required to:
- disseminate safety survey information to school principals within their division,
- access the web-based Survey Manager system to update school listings and contact information,
- confirm the submittal of each school’s survey before the designated deadline,
- collectively certify the submission of school surveys, and
- complete the division level survey.
The survey period for the Virginia School Safety Survey and the division level survey will begin on Monday, August 6, 2018, and will end on Friday, September 28, 2018, at 5 p.m. Superintendents will receive instructions to access the Survey Manager system via email from the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Virginia Center for School and Campus Safety (VCSCS).
The Virginia School Safety Survey website: This link takes you out of the Virginia Department of Education website. will serve to assist principals in completing the school safety survey. This website will also aid superintendents or their designees in managing the administration of the school survey within their divisions and will provide additional information and resources. Other information available on this website includes:
- a description of the survey,
- the authority of the VCSCS to conduct surveys,
- a link to the school survey,
- instructions for taking the school survey,
- a link to the division survey,
- the survey questions that should be reviewed before starting the actual survey,
- frequently-asked-questions (FAQ),
- terms and definitions, and
- related Code of Virginia citations.
Like last year, this year’s survey will feature an extensive section on threat assessment. As part of Section §22.1-79.4: This link takes you out of the Virginia Department of Education website. of the Code of Virginia, DCJS is required to collect data on the activities of threat assessment teams in Virginia schools. This portion of the survey will ask principals to provide details on cases conducted by their threat assessment teams.
If you have any questions or need additional information regarding the school safety audit requirements, please contact Shellie Evers by email at Shellie.Evers@dcjs.virginia.gov: Email link. , or by telephone at (804) 678-8993, or James Christian by email James.Christian@dcjs.virginia.gov: Email link. , or by telephone at (804) 357-0967.