The primary purpose of the Board of Education's advisory committees is to advise, assist, and provide support and advocacy for quality education. Advisory committees work to advise the Board of Education on policies, procedures, and methods, which help strengthen educational programs.
Advisory committees are composed of members who have volunteered their time, talents, and knowledge to help strengthen educational programs. Members are appointed by the Board of Education to serve three-year terms of service. Each advisory committee develops its own program of work based on the needs of the program served. The committees meet three to four times a year and will make an annual report to the Board of Education on its recommendations for consideration and action.
- Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL)
- Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted (VACEG)
- State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC)
- Adult Education & Literacy Advisory Committee
- Advisory Committee for Career & Technical Education
- Early Childhood Advisory Committee (ECAC)