Virginia General Assembly & Education Legislation
The Virginia General Assembly convenes in January. VDOE tracks and reports on proposed legislation, bills and resolutions of interest to school superintendents and division personnel. The history of any bill or resolution, all amendments, and the text of the legislation are available by clicking on the bill or resolution number in the tracking reports provided below.
All legislation becomes effective in July unless otherwise indicated. Any information about actions that may or must be taken by local school boards is included in the summary of each bill.
At the conclusion of the General Assembly, final tracking reports are compiled. These will reflect the final action on education-related legislation tracked by VDOE.
General Assembly Education Bills & Resolutions
2021 General Assembly Legislative Tracking
- Bills & Resolutions – Reports are updated weekly during the General Assembly session.
Previous Years' Final Legislative Tracking Reports
Attorney General Opinions Pertaining to K-12 Education
Section 2.2-505 of the Code of Virginia authorizes the Attorney General of Virginia to give advice and render official advisory opinions under certain conditions. VDOE maintains a listing of Opinions from the Office of the Virginia Attorney General-This is a Word document. pertaining to K-12 Education, including opinions issued from 1996-present.
- Virginia’s Legislative Information System
- Code of Virginia
- Regulations of the Board of Education
- The Virginia School Law Deskbook is available for purchase. The volume combines the Virginia school laws (Title 22.1 of the Code of Virginia); frequently referenced federal laws, and the Regulations of the Board of Education. To order the publication by phone, call 877-394-8826 or visit LexisNexis.
- 2020 Virginia Department Of Education Legislation Briefing | Presentation-This is a PPT presentation. – On November 12 and November 13, 2020, the Virginia Department of Education and Virginia Board of Education hosted a briefing for legislators on a range of topics related to public education during COVID-19, agency initiatives, as well as priorities and ongoing work of the Board.