Board Meeting Agenda - May 28, 2009
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
- Resolutions of Recognition presented to school divisions recently receiving the SACS/CASI District Accreditation: Arlington County Public Schools, Bristol City Public Schools, Montgomery County Public Schools, Westmoreland County Public Schools, and Williamsburg/James City County Public Schools
Approval of Minutes of the April 29-30, 2009, Meeting of the Board
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- First Review: Readoption of Revised Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia
- First Review of a Request to Extend Approval of an Alternative Accreditation Plan from Chesterfield County Public Schools for Perrymont Middle School
- First Review of Proposed Revisions of Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements for the Standard, Standard Technical, Advanced Studies, Advanced Technical, and Modified Standard Diplomas in Virginia Public Schools
First Review of a Request from Maggie L. Walker Governor's School for Government and International Studies to Increase the Number of Standard Credits Required for Graduation
- First Review of a Proposal to Establish a Governor's Career and Technical Academy: The Governor's Career and Technical Academy for Engineering Studies
- First Review of a Proposal to Eliminate Grade 3 History and Social Science from the Virginia Assessment Program
- First Review of a Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Harrisonburg City Public Schools
Discussion of Current Issues
by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, May 27, 2009. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.