Board Meeting Agenda - July 22, 2010
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the June 24, 2010, Meeting of the Board
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List
- First Review of a Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) for Proposed Regulations Governing Unexcused Absences and Truancy
- First Review of the Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) to Promulgate Regulations Governing the Operation of Private Day Schools for Students with Disabilities and Educational Programs Offered in Group Homes and Residential Facilities in the Commonwealth and to Repeal Regulations Governing the Operation of Private Day Schools for Students with Disabilities (8 VAC 20-670-10 et seq.)
- Final Review of a Request for Approval of Waivers of 8 VAC 20-110-50 of the Regulations Governing Pupil Accounting Records from Richmond City Public Schools
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve a Braille Assessment for Teachers Seeking an Initial License with an Endorsement in Special Education-Visual Impairment
- First Review of Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2011 Calendar Year
- Report on the Review Process for and Evaluation of Supplemental Educational Services (SES) Providers Under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001
- Report on the Study and Development of Model Teacher and Administrator Evaluation Systems
- Report on the Virginia Department of Education’s Process for Implementing Virtual School Programs
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, July 21, 2010. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.