Board Meeting Agenda – June 25, 2015
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, June 25, 2015
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the May 28, 2015, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Recognition Presented to Virginia’s National Distinguished Principal: Mrs. Pamela R. Johnson, Principal, Falling Creek Elementary School, Chesterfield County Public Schools
- Resolution of Recognition Presented to Virginia’s National Outstanding Assistant Principal: Mrs. Kelly T. Nickerson, Assistant Principal, Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School, Prince William County Public Schools
- Resolution of Recognition of the Class of 2015 and Organizations Assisting the Board of Education in the Successful Implementation of the Economics and Personal Finance Diploma Requirement
- Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Leadership and Service to Public Education: Mr. Christian N. Braunlich, Virginia Board of Education Member, 2011-2015 and President, 2014-2015
- Final Review of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure’s Recommendation to Grant Approval to Add New Education (Endorsement) Programs at George Mason University
- Final Review of 2015-2017 Addendum to the Educational Technology Plan for Virginia: 2010-2015
- Final Review of Revisions to the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8 VAC 20-22-10 et seq.) to Conform to General Assembly Legislation (Exempt Action)
- First Review of Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Manassas Park City Public Schools
- Final Review of Proposal to Enact Special Provision in the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8VAC20- 131-280E) Related to Use of Test Scores in Calculating Accreditation Ratings Effective with the 2015-2016 School Year
- Final Review of Report on Virginia’s Possible Participation in the 2018 Administration of the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) as an Independent Educational System in Accordance with the 2015 Appropriation Act
- Final Review of Criteria for Awarding the Seal of Biliteracy
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public School in Virginia (8 VAC 201-131) to Comport with Legislation Passed by the General Assembly under the Fast Track Provisions of the Administrative Process Act
- First Review of Revisions to the Guidelines for Uniform Performance Standards and Evaluation Criteria for Teachers, Principals, and Superintendents
- First Review of Nominations to Fill Vacancies on Board of Education Advisory Committees
- Report on the High School Program Innovation Grant Process – Item updated June 24, 2015
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, June 24, 2015, at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown Hotel (555 East Canal Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.