Board Meeting Agenda – November 19, 2015
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, November 19, 2015
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the October 22, 2015, Meeting of the Board
- Resolutions of Recognition to Virginia School Divisions Participating in the Community Eligibility Provision of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act
- Final Review of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure’s Recommendation to Grant Approval to Add New Education (Endorsement) Programs at Bluefield College, Emory and Henry College, James Madison University, Mary Baldwin College, and Virginia Wesleyan College
- Final Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Governing Reduction of State Aid When Length of School Term Below 180 Teaching Days or 990 Teaching Hours (8 VAC 20-521) to Comport with Legislation Passed by the 2015 General Assembly Under the Fast Track Provisions of the Administrative Process Act
- Final Review of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure’s Recommendation to Approve Education Programs Offered by Virginia Institutions of Higher Education as Required by the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia (8 VAC 20-542-10 et seq.)
- Final Review of a Resolution to Implement an Amendment to §22.1-207.4 of the Code of Virginia (HB 2114-2015) Pending Incorporation into the Regulations Governing Nutritional Guidelines for Competitive Foods Available for Sale in the Public Schools
- Final Review of the Summary of the Redesign of the School Performance Report Card Required by HB 1672 and SB 727 (2015)
- Final Review of Revisions to the Regulations Governing Pupil Transportation (8 VAC 20-70) to Conform to General Assembly Legislation (Exempt Action)
- First Review of Requests for Partially Accredited: Reconstituted School from Twenty-Two School Divisions
- First Review of Memoranda of Understanding as Required of Schools in Accreditation Denied Status for Newport News City Public Schools and Richmond City Public Schools
- First Review of Proposed Revised Curriculum Framework for 2015 History and Social Science Standards of Learning
- Report on Formative Assessment Training Pilot
- Annual Report from the Virginia Council for Private Education
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Planning the Work Ahead
- Professional Development Plan/Orientation of New Board Members
- Regulations Governing the Collection and Reporting of Truancy-Related Data and Student Attendance Policies (Re-Proposed Stage)
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at noon., Wednesday, November 18, 2015, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). The purpose of the meeting is to provide ongoing professional development for board members. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, November 18, 2015, at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown Hotel (555 East Canal Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Virginia Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Virginia Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.