Virginia Preschool Initiative
What is the Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI)?
The Virginia Preschool Initiative distributes state funds to schools and community-based organizations to provide quality preschool programs for at-risk four-year-olds unserved by the federal Head Start program.
The purpose of the grant is to reduce disparities among young children upon formal school entry and to reduce or eliminate those risk factors that lead to early academic failure.
To obtain state funding, localities must develop a written local plan for programs that includes:
- Provision for a quality preschool education;
- Health services;
- Family engagement;
- Facilitation of comprehensive services including health, mental health and nutrition; and
- A plan for transportation.
For VPI Program Coordinators and Administrators
Program Requirements & Guidelines
- VPI Access and Inclusion Webinar Series FAQ-This is a Word document.
- Early Childhood Special Education - Transition from Part C to Part B FAQ-This is a Word document. – Updated May 7, 2020
- Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) Guidelines-This is a Word document. – To obtain state funding, localities must develop a written local plan for programs that includes: 1. Provision for a quality preschool education; 2. Health services; 3. Family engagement; 4. Facilitation of comprehensive services; and 5. A plan for transportation.
- Guidelines for Using Family Income Criteria in Determining Student Eligibility for VPI & Best Practices for Implementing a Local Eligibility Process-This is a Word document.
- Advancing Effective Interactions and Instruction (AEII) Initiative: The VDOE’s Office of Early Childhood collaborates with the University of Virginia’s Center for Advanced Study of Teaching and Learning (CASTL) on the AEII Initiative. This initiative helps school leaders use data to make informed decisions about the needs of each VPI classroom. Learn more about AEII.
- New VPI Coordinator Training Webinar 2021-2022
Application Process and Funding
- FY23 (2022-2023 School Year) VPI Slots Initial Allocation by Division-This is a PDF document
- Content of Spring 2022 VPI Application-This is a Word document.
- Virginia Preschool Initiative State Funding Based on Student Enrollment - Fall Student Record Collection-This is a Word document.
- Guidance for PK Funding and PK Experience Codes-This is a Word document.
- School Bus Transportation of Pre-School-Aged Children from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration