Every Student Succeeds Act
News & Announcements
Public Comment Opportunity: Amendment to Virginia's Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Consolidated State Plan
The Virginia Department of Education is seeking input on an addendum and waiver to its ESSA State Plan. The VDOE welcomes comments to this amendment. Please refer to Superintendent's Memo Superintendent's Memo 026-21-This is a Word document. for details. All comments may be submitted electronically by Wednesday, March 3 to Accountability@doe.virginia.gov.
The Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA)-This is a PDF document. was signed into law on December 10, 2015. ESSA amends the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and replaces No Child Left Behind. The Board of Education approved its plan to implement ESSA at its July 2017 business meeting. The final version was approved by the U.S. Department of Education in May, 2018. The most recently approved amended plan is below.
- Word - ADA Compliant Version-This is a Word document.
- PDF Version-This is a PDF document. - includes signatures
- Letters of Approval from U.S. Department of Education
- Mathematics Waiver Request – Letter of Approval from U.S. Department of Education
Under ESSA, Virginia will identify schools for comprehensive or targeted support and improvement using a multi-step process that includes multiple indicators.
- ESSA State Plan Steering Committee-This is a PDF document.
- List of Stakeholder Meetings-This is a PDF document.
- ESSA Survey Report-This is a PDF document.
- Consolidated State Performance Reports – describe progress toward meeting the goals of ESEA
- Constitutionally Protected Prayer (Section 8524) Complaint Procedures-This is a Word document.
- Constitutionally Protected Prayer (Section 8524) Complaint Form-This is a Word document.