Title II, Part A: Supporting Effective Instruction
About Title II, Part A
Federal funds awarded under Title II, Part A, support programs to increase academic achievement by increasing the number of qualified teachers in classrooms; increasing the number of qualified principals and assistant principals in schools; and increasing the effectiveness of teachers and principals by holding school divisions and schools accountable for improvements in student academic achievement.
Title II, Part A, is a formula-based program. All school divisions are eligible to receive funding through an annual application process. Programs and activities must be based on a needs assessment which must include involvement from a wide variety of stakeholders (i.e., teachers, administrators, paraprofessionals, parents, private school representatives, etc.)
Private not-for-profit schools located within the school division’s geographic boundaries are eligible to receive services in collaboration with the school division. Additional information may be found on the Equitable Services webpage.
- Developing and implementing strategies and activities to recruit, hire, and retain qualified and effective teachers and principals, particularly in schools with a high percentage of low-achieving students;
- Providing evidence-based professional development activities that improve the knowledge of teachers and principals and, in appropriate cases, paraprofessionals, in content knowledge and instructional practices;
- Carrying out teacher advancement initiatives that promote professional growth and emphasize multiple career paths (such as paths to becoming a mentor teacher, career teacher, or teacher leader) and pay differentiation;
- Carrying out programs and activities that are designed to improve the quality of the teaching force, such as innovative professional development programs that focus on technology literacy, teacher leadership, teacher and principal preparation, and differentiated pay programs.
- Leadership development for teacher leaders, principals, and other school leaders, to include:
- Professional development to improve leadership capacity;
- Leadership residency initiatives
- Leadership preparation academies
- Leadership mentoring
For a listing of other allowable activities, refer to “At a Glance Allowable Uses of Funds Under ESSA.” (Word)
Guidelines and Procedures
- ESSA Legislation, Public Law 115-64
- ESSA Laws, Guidance, and Policy Letters
- Guidance Documents -
Links to guidance documents are provided for the Title II, Part A, program for both NCLB and ESSA provisions. During this transition period, school divisions are encouraged to review the content of each document based on the appropriate funding year.
- Building Systems of Support for Excellent Teaching and Leading: Non-Regulatory Guidance-This is a PDF document. (2016) USED. This document provides an overview of changes to the Title II, Part A, program under ESSA, with a focus on identifying and implementing high quality, evidence-based practices.
- Improving Teacher Quality State Grants: Non-Regulatory Guidance-This is a PDF document. (2006) USED. This document provides an overview of Title II, Part A requirements under NCLB.
- Evidence-Based Practices
Educator Performance and Evaluation
- Teacher Licensure in Virginia
- Highly Qualified Teachers and Paraprofessionals: Transition from the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB) to the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) (REVISED) (July 2016)
- Instructional Personnel and Licensure Report
- Teacher License Query
- Title I Paraprofessional Qualifications: Transition from the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB) to the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) (July 2016)
- Sample Letter – Parent’s Right to Request Information on Teacher Qualifications-This is a Word document. (Word)
- Sample Letter – Assignment of Teacher for More Than Four Weeks not Meeting Certification/Licensure Requirements-This is a Word document. (Word)
- Teaching in Virginia: Professional Learning and Development
- Teaching in Virginia: Professional Learning Network
- Department of Education Professional Development Calendar
- TeacherDirect - This resource provides a direct line of communication with classroom teachers and educators. TeacherDirect includes information about new instructional resources created by VDOE staff as well professional development and grant opportunities, and other information of special interest to teachers and their students.
Verifying Title II Time and Effort
- Certification of Pay (100 percent of Title II employment)-This is a Word document.
- Personnel Activity Report-This is a Word document.
Title II, Part A, Technical Assistance
Teacher Equity Plans
Teacher Equity Resources
- Equitable Access Support Network
- Center for Great Teachers and Leaders at American Institutes for Research
Federal Program Monitoring
- Title II, Part A, Monitoring Protocol-This is a Word document.
- Monitoring Schedule (2019-2020)-This is a Word document.
- Preparing for Federal Program Monitoring-This is a PPT document. (2019)
Equitable Services to Private School Students
- Title II, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and Equitable Services to Private School Teachers-This is a PDF document. USED
- For additional resources related to equitable services, go to: Title VIII: Equitable Services
- Spending Handbook for Title I, Part A; Title II, Part A; Title III, Part A; and Title IV, Part A-This is a Word document.
Title II, Part A, Allocations
Division program coordinators should contact their program specialist for information about the application for federal funds.
Memoranda from Virginia State Superintendent to school division superintendents:
- 2019-2020 Title II, Part A, Allocations under Provisions of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA)-This is a Word document. – Superintendent’s Memo 183-19
- 2018-2019 Title II, Part A, Allocations under Provisions of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) – Superintendent’s Memo 207-18
Virginia Department of Education Title II Staff and Assignments
- U.S. Department of Education’s Professional Development Continuing Education Resources
- Learning Forward Professional Learning Resources