Title IV: 21st Century Schools
The 21st Century Community Learning Centers (Title IV, Part B) program supports the creation of opportunities for academic enrichment during non-school hours for children, particularly students who attend high-poverty and low-performing schools. The program helps students meet state and local standards in core academic subjects, such as reading and mathematics; offers students enrichment activities that complement regular academic programs; and offers literacy and other educational services to the families of participating children.
VDOE funds, through a competitive process, projects that provide significant expanded learning opportunities for children and youth, and that will assist students to meet or exceed state and local standards in core academic subjects.
Applying for A New Grant
All 21st CCLC grants are awarded on a competitive basis. VDOE will give priority to applications that meet any or all of the following criteria:
- Joint applications between at least one school division and at least one public or private community organization;
- Propose to serve students in schools that either are Priority Schools, Conditionally Accredited Reconstituted or Accreditation Denied for the current school year;
- Proposals to serve students in middle or high schools; or
- Proposals to serve students who attend schools with free and reduced-price lunch eligibility of 75 percent or greater.
Grant Application Resources
- Request for Proposals (RFP) for 21st Century Community Learning Centers Competitive Grant Program-This is a Word document. – Superintendent's Memo 015-20
The application and Guidelines, Instructions and Assurances documents are available upon request from the 21st CCLC office at the Virginia Department of Education. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
The purpose of the continuation application is to ensure that grantees are:
- managing grant funds awarded;
- operating programs in compliance with regulatory requirements;
- making satisfactory progress towards meeting the goals and objectives stated in the original approved application; and
- making progress toward meeting Virginia's performance indicators for 21st CCLC grant programs. The information reported in the continuation application must reflect the information stated in the approved application, unless changed by amendments approved by the Department of Education
The continuation application for years 2 and 3 are available upon request from the 21st CCLC office at the Virginia Department of Education. Please email email@example.com with your request specifying which year.
- 21st CCLC Awards 2020-2021-This is a Word document. Updated August 10, 2020
- 21st CCLC Awards 2019-2020-This is a Word document. Updated August 23, 2019
- 21st CCLC Awards 2018-2019-This is a Word document. Updated August 6, 2018
- 21st CCLC Awards 2002-2017-This is a PDF document. Updated August 30, 2017
Current 21st Century Grant Coordinators
Financial Management – Budget Transfers and Reimbursements
- Entities serving as the fiscal agent for a grant are to submit budget transfer requests and reimbursements via the Virginia Department of Education’s Online Management of Education Grant Awards (OMEGA) system. OMEGA user set up forms with instructions, a detailed User’s Guide, and access to online training opportunities are available at SSWS. Click on “SSWS Instructions” in the upper right hand corner to open a PDF file containing a SSWS access guide.
- The OMEGA Users Guide is located by logging into SSWS, clicking on the application Online Management of Education Grant Awards-OMEGA, then clicking on the “Help” link in the upper right hand corner, then click on the User's Guide-This is a PDF document. (PDF).
- Record of Inventory Instructions-This is a Word document. (Word)
- Record of Inventory Labels-This is a Word document. (Word)
- Record of Inventory (XLS)
- 21st CCLC Time and Effort Worksheet 100 Percent-This is a Word document. (Word)
- 21st CCLC Time and Effort Worksheet Split Time-This is a Word document. (Word)
- 21st CCLC Administrative Handbook-This is a Word document. Revised September 2020
- The Virginia Partnership for Out-of-School Time
- Virginia Out-of-School Time Resource Exchange
- The Afterschool Alliance
- Best Out-of-School Time Collaborative
- Charles Stewart Mott Foundation Afterschool Programs
- The National AfterSchool Association
- National Center for Quality Afterschool
- National Institute for Out of School Time
- U. S. Department of Education 21st Century Learning Centers Program
- U.S. Department of Education (P.L.114-95)-This is a PDF document. (PDF)
A copy of reports from prior years is available upon request from the 21st CCLC office at the Virginia Department of Education. Please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equitable Services to Private School Students
Under Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), as amended, local educational agencies (LEAs) are required to provide services for eligible private school students as well as eligible public school students.
VDOE 21st Century Community Learning Centers (CCLC) Staff and Assignments