School Safety Survey
The Code of Virginia requires school divisions to complete an annual School Safety Survey in order to assess school safety conditions. As a means for collecting individual school safety audit information, the Virginia Center for School and Campus Safety (VCSCS) annually administers the Virginia School Safety Survey. This web-based survey provides all public schools (K-12) with a standardized report format for conducting and submitting their audit information.
- Virginia School Safety Audit Program – at the Virginia Center for School and Campus Safety
- Also see, Superintendent's Memo 255-17 – September 1, 2017
Annual Report for Discipline, Crime & Violence
Due: See submission dates below
The Code of Virginia requires school divisions to submit data to VDOE on incidents of discipline, crime and violence (DCV). Current reports contain selected comparisons to prior years. DCV data are used also to complete federal reports required by the Gun-Free Schools Act of 1994 (GFSA) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). GFSA requires annual reporting of the number of students suspended or expelled statewide for possessing or bringing firearms on school property. IDEA contains requirements for reporting disciplinary actions involving students with disabilities.
2020-2021 Discipline, Crime & Violence
New for the 2020-21 School Year
For the 2020-2021 school year, the Discipline, Crime and Violence Collection will be the addition of the Graded Work Provided flag at the end of each record. There is also an additional Time Code of 05. This is to identify the virtual learning environment. For more information, consult the 2020-21 DCV User Guide below.
In addition, for the 2020-2021 school year, regional centers and programs will continue reporting their discipline data back to the studen's home school division and the school division will then report that data directly to VDOE.
2020-2021 Support Documents
- 2020-2021 DCV File Layout (Word) | (PDF)
- 2020-2021 DCV Header File-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- 2020-2021 DCV User Guide (Word) | (PDF)
2020-2021 Submission Dates
- Successful submissions of DCV for school divisions are due on July 16, 2021.
- Verification reports submitted through the Superintendent's electronic signature process are due to VDOE by July 23, 2021.
2019-2020 Discipline, Crime & Violence
2019-2020 Support Documents
- 2019-2020 DCV File Layout (Word) | (PDF)
- 2019-2020 DCV Header File-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- 2019-2020 DCV User Guide (Word) | (PDF)
2019-2020 Submission Dates
- Successful submissions of DCV for school divisions are due on July 24, 2020.
- Verification reports submitted through the Superintendent's electronic signature process are due to VDOE by July 31, 2020.
- Crosswalk – All Offenses (PDF)
- Crosswalk for Offense Codes for Extraction (PDF)
- Cautioned School Information (PDF)
- Optional Law Enforcement Reporting Form (PDF)
- Sample Data Form (PDF)
- Superintendent’s Memo 291-81-This is a Word document. - includes the definition of “Aggravating Circumstances”