Agricultural Education Programs of Study
Agricultural Education includes programs of study designed to prepare students for occupations in horticulture, agricultural business, natural resources management, agricultural machinery and production agriculture.
Agricultural Education stresses the development of skills in all aspects of agricultural businesses and industries, including planning, management, safety, finances and leadership.
The following courses were revised for implementation during the 2019-2020 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
- Agricultural Education—Development (8053)
- Agricultural Education—Preparation (8050)
- Biological Applications in Agriculture (8086)
- Biotechnology Applications in Agriculture (8087)
- Forestry Management (8042)
- Forestry Management, Advanced (8043)
- Operating the Farm Business (8014)
- Outdoor Recreation, Parks, and Tourism Systems Management (8043)
Safety Best Practice Guide for CTE
The Safety Best Practice Guide for CTE-This is a Word document. is a collection of best practice resources used to assist school divisions in the development of a local safety school safety plan.
- Agricultural Education Course Listing-This is a Word document.
- Essential Competency List for Agricultural Education – Virginia's CTE Resource Center
- Industry Credentialing
Hanover Turf Science Program
- Courses highlighted: Turf Science Program
- Produced by: Atlee High School, Hanover County Public Schools
These courses are part of the Environmental Service Systems and Plant Systems Pathways in the Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources Career Cluster.
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)
Virginia FFA Organization
Makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth, and career success through agricultural education preparing students for careers in the food, fiber, and natural resources industries. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
High-Quality Work-Based Learning
- Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) Program Resources
- Licensure Endorsement Requirements for Agricultural Education
- Career Planning Guide
- Virginia Tech Department of Agricultural and Extension Education
- Virginia State University Department of Agriculture
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (Virginia ACTE)
Virginia CTE Agricultural Education ListservIf you are not on the Virginia CTE Agricultural Education Listserv, contact LaVeta Nutter to be added.