Career & Technical Student Organizations
CTSOs enhance Career and Technical Education in Virginia through the co-curricular network of programs, business and community partnerships and leadership experiences at the school, state, and national levels. Virginia students enrolled in career and technical education courses are members of the local CTSO related to their courses and area of interest and are provided with opportunities to apply academic, technical and employability knowledge and skills necessary in today’s work force.
"CTSOs prepare students for individual and group leadership responsibilities to the family, school, community, state and nation.”
– James F. Lane, Superintendent of Public Instruction
Each of these CTSOs attracts students from different CTE curriculum areas. CTSOs extend Career and Technical Education in Virginia through networks of programs, business and community partnerships and leadership experiences at the school, state and national levels and provide Virginia students with opportunities to apply academic, technical and employability knowledge and skills necessary in today’s work force. Just over 57,000 Virginia students are served through DECA, FBLA, FCCLA, Educators Rising, FFA, HOSA, SkillsUSA and TSA.
Virginia DECA Organization- Prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe.
- 2019 - 2020 membership: 12,382
- State Conference: March 5 - 7, 2021, Virginia Beach, VA
- National Conference: April 24 - 27, 2021, Anaheim, CA
- National DECA Website
Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
Virginia Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)- Prepares students for leadership and careers in business through business-related education and entrepreneurial skill development, community service and partnerships with the professional sector.
- 2019 - 2020 membership: 9,714
- FBLA State Conference: April 16 - 17, 2021, Hyatt Regency, Reston, VA
- FBLA National Conference: June 29 - July 2, 2021, Anaheim, CA
- PBL State Conference: To Be Determined
- PBL National Conference: June 24 – 27, 2021, Anaheim, CA
- National FBLA/PBL Website
Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)
Virginia Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)- Provides opportunities for students to prepare for multiple roles of family member, wage earner, and community leader as they develop skills for life through Family and Consumer Sciences Education.
- 2020 - 2021 membership: 7,597
- State Conference: April 16 - 18, 2021, Virginia Beach, VA
- National Conference: June 27 – July 1, 2021, Nashville, TN
- National FCCLA Website
Virginia FFA Organization- Makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth, and career success through agricultural education; preparing students for careers in the food, fiber, and natural resources industries.
- 2019 – 2020 membership: 9,901
- State Convention: June 20 – 24, 2021 Blacksburg, VA
- National Convention: October 28 - 31, 2020, Virtual
- National FFA Website
Educators Rising (formerly known as Future Educators Association – FEA)
Educators Rising- Provides high school students opportunities to explore teaching as a career option. It helps students gain a realistic understanding of the nature of education and the role of the teacher.
- 2019 - 2020 membership: 940
- State Conference: TBD
- National Conference: TBD
- Educators Rising Website
Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)
Virginia Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)- Promotes career opportunities in the health care industry to enhance the delivery of quality health care to all people.
- 2019 - 2020 membership: 4,176
- State Conference: March 12 – 14, 2021, Williamsburg, VA
- National Conference: June 23 - 26, 2021, Coronado Springs, Orlando, FL
- National HOSA Website
SkillsUSA- Champions at Work
SkillsUSA- Champions at Work - A partnership of students, teachers, and industry working together to ensure Virginia and America have a skilled work force.
- 2019 – 2020 membership: 6,480
- State Conference: April, 16 – 17, 2021, Roanoke, VA
- National Conference: June 21 – 25, 2021, Atlanta, GA
- National SkillsUSA Website
Technology Student Association (TSA)
Virginia Technology Student Association (TSA)- Provides the application and integration of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) concepts through co-curricular instruction, leadership development, competitive events and related programs.
- 2019 – 2020 membership: 8,929
- State Conference: April 29 – May 2, 2021, Hampton, VA
- National Conference: June 23 – 27, 2021, Orlando, FL
- National TSA Website
Benefits of CTSO’s include:
- Provides a hand-on approach to learning
- Refines career objectives through realistic experiences
- Promotes awareness of new career opportunities
- Develops skills and responsibilities for being a role model and mentor
- Cultivates social development and awareness
- Develops a sense of community and volunteerism
- Develops an appreciation and understanding for cultural diversity
- Improves communication and decision making skills
- Provides for personal development
- Develops interpersonal and leadership skills
- Develops responsibility and self-confidence
- Provides opportunities for recognition
- National Coordinating Council for Career and Technical Student Organizations
- Career and Technical
in Virginia Handout-This is a Word document.