Family & Consumer Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences programs facilitate student progress toward a set of unifying goals in the areas of academic achievement, cultural and environmental issues, health and safety, individual and family relations, leadership and workplace ethics, and application of technology.
Family and Consumer Sciences provide opportunities for students to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviors needed for work and family life.
- Strengthening the well-being of individuals and families across the life span.
- Becoming responsible citizens and leaders in family, community, and work settings.
- Promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the life span.
- Managing resources to meet the material needs of individuals and families.
- Balancing personal, home, family and work lives.
- Using critical and creative thinking skills to address problems in diverse families, communities, and work environments.
- Exemplifying successful life management, employment, and career development.
- Functioning effectively as providers and consumers of goods and services.
- Appreciating human worth and accepting responsibility for one's actions and success in family and work life.
The following courses were revised for implementation during the 2019-2020 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
- Family and Consumer Sciences Exploratory I (8208, 8207, 8206, 8204)
- Family and Consumer Sciences Exploratory II (8263, 8262, 8261, 8260)
- Family and Consumer Sciences Exploratory III (8245, 8244, 8243, 8242, 8241)
- Family Relations (8225, 8223)
- Introduction to Fashion Careers (8248, 8247)
- Fashion Careers I (8280)
- Fashion Careers II (8281)
Safety Best Practice Guide for CTE
The Safety Best Practice Guide for CTE-This is a Word document. is a collection of best practice resources used to assist school divisions in the development of a local safety school safety plan.
- Essential Competency List for Family and Consumer Sciences – Virginia's CTE Resource Center
- Administrative Planning Guide for Family and Consumer Sciences
- Industry Credentialing
- Equipment Resource Guide - See Equipment for CTE Programs
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)Virginia Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)
Provides opportunities for students to prepare for multiple roles of family member, wage earner, and community leader as they develop skills for life through Family and Consumer Sciences Education. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
High Quality Work-Based Learning
- Educators Rising
- American Culinary Federation (ACF)
- Virginia Association for Early Childhood Education (VAECE)
- National Education Association for the Education of the Young Children (NAEYC)
- Virginia Association for Family and Consumer Science (VAFCS)
- Virginia Association for Teachers of Family and Consumer Sciences (VATFACS)
- American Association for Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS)
- International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP)
- Virginia Restaurant, Lodging, Travel Association
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (Virginia ACTE)