Health & Medical Sciences
Health and medical sciences courses prepare students for careers in medicine, nursing, dentistry, and other health occupations. Health and medical sciences coursework is appropriate for students who ultimately seek a professional degree; the coursework is also appropriate for students who seek to enter the workforce directly or pursue other post-secondary education. Successful completion of health and medical sciences coursework can lead to entry-level employment in health care and can be a stepping stone on the pathway to advanced training such as that completed by physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, pharmacists, physical therapists, and more.
Health and medical sciences courses:
- introduce secondary students to nursing, medical, dental, and other health occupations.
- prepare students with basic skills for employment in nursing homes, clinics, medical and dental offices, hospitals, homes, and certain public health settings.
- facilitate entry into advanced health occupations programs that require post-high school education leading to state licensure, certification, registration, or national credentialing.
- enable students to become more knowledgeable consumers of health services.
Consistent with their abilities, interests, and educational needs, students may complete a variety of health sciences courses to reach a variety of career preparation goals. Local school divisions determine the structure of health and medical sciences courses. Programs may be offered in blocks of various lengths of time and/or across multiple years.
Please note that certain health and medical sciences courses follow regulations governed by the Virginia Department of Health Professions and its 13 health regulatory boards including but not limited to the Virginia Board of Nursing and the Virginia Board of Pharmacy. Some courses also follow regulations governed by the Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services housed within the Virginia Department of Health.
Course RevisionsThe following courses were revised for implementation during the 2019-2020 school year. All curriculum frameworks are available through VERSO from the CTE Resource Center:
• Emergency Medical Telecommunications (8337)
• Health and Medical Sciences Exploratory (8370)
• Home Health Aide (8364)
• Medical Terminology (8383)
• Medication Aide (8368)
• Nurse Aide I (8355)
• Nurse Aide II (8362)
• Nurse Aide II Condensed (8356)
• Patient Care Technician (8303)
• Pharmacy Technician I (8305)
• Pharmacy Technician II (8306)
In In 2014, competencies related to opioid abuse prevention were added to selected courses-This is a Word document..
Safety Best Practice Guide for CTE
The Safety Best Practice Guide for CTE-This is a Word document. is a collection of best practice resources used to assist school divisions in the development of a local safety school safety plan.
- Health & Medical Sciences Course Listing-This is a Word document.
- Virginia’s CTE Resource Center
- Industry Credentialing
- Equipment Resource Guide – See Equipment for CTE Programs
- Governor’s Health Sciences Academies
- Project Lead the Way
Career & Technical Student Organization (CTSO)
Virginia Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) - Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) promotes career opportunities in the health care industry to enhance the delivery of quality health care to all people across all health fields. For more information, visit the CTSO web page.
Work-Based Learning Resources
High Quality Work-Based Learning
Revised EMT Guidelines – The High School Based Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Educational Program Guidelines-This is a Word document. were developed jointly with the Office of Emergency Medical Services to unify state and national standards, establish consistent EMT program standards, to ensure high-quality programs are implemented in high schools and technical centers throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. Also see Superintendent’s Memo 285-19-This is a Word document..
- Virginia Health and Medical Sciences Educators Association (VAHAMSEA)
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (Virginia ACTE)