In this set of video clips, Virginia educators demonstrate strategies and activities that can be used in vocabulary instruction in middle school classrooms. The strategies and activities presented here are not limited to English class, but can be used for any subject or content area involving vocabulary instruction. A facilitator's guide (PPT) provides additional staff development opportunities.
The following video clips require the free Adobe Flash Player plug-in.
Play Video Introduction by Dr. Linda M. Wallinger
Assistant Superintendent for Instruction, Virginia Department of Education
- Play Video Variation on Thesaurus Activity modifies the Thesaurus Activity and uses the concept to teach vocabulary from a novel unit.
Play video Word Bugs and Word Flowers uses graphic organizers to teach vocabulary.
- Play video Word Sketches shows an instructional strategy of teaching vocabulary through students' illustrations of words.
Working with Words
Manipulating letters and building words will increase students' vocabulary. The brain looks for patterns in words. By finding patterns, students will better learn and remember the words.
- Play Video
Open Word Sorts models a lesson on sorting multiple meaning words.
- Play Video Closed Word Sorts incorporates mathematics terms into the language arts classroom.
- Play Video Analogy Hangman demonstrates an innovative lesson teaching analogies using the synonym/antonym pattern with the game hangman.
- Play Video Word Splash connects prior knowledge and vocabulary instruction in the content area.
- Play Video Discuss Brainstorm Web models introducing a new unit of study in the content area classroom.
Visualization and movement provide opportunities for students to imbed new vocabulary or concepts into their long-term memory. This lesson provides six activities, based on the six levels of Bloom's Taxonomy to teach a vocabulary word.
- Play Video Reinforcing Vocabulary incorporates visualization and kinesthetic movement into vocabulary instruction.
Special thanks to Annie Samsky , Newport News Public Schools; Beverly Loehn, Virginia Beach Public Schools; Kerri White and Anne Pennypacker, Chesterfield County Public Schools; Carrie DuPuy, Henrico County Public Schools; Holly Barr and Melissa Ingram-Crouch, Hanover County Public Schools.