English Learner Education
The purpose of this webpage is to provide important information and links to resources that support educators in providing equitable instruction and services to English Learners (ELs).
Divisions across the Commonwealth of Virginia serve over 105,000 ELs, who speak over 240 languages, and come from a variety of learning and cultural backgrounds. These students bring a unique set of assets that have the potential to enrich the experiences of all learners and educators.
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) works for the embodiment of an asset-based approach to educating ELs that honors their primary languages, background knowledge, and experiences.
News & Announcements
NEW: SLIFE Guidebook
Virginia is home to many students with limited and/or interrupted education (SLIFE). The SLIFE Guidebook-This is a PDF document. that outlines the new statewide definition with a detailed description of each component. The document also includes leadership and instructional resources.
New WIDA English Language Development (ELD) Standards Framework, 2020 Edition Now Available!
WIDA just released a new edition of the English Language Development (ELD) Standards Framework. Visit the WIDA website for the latest information.
English Learner Newsletter
Sign-up to receive EL specific news, announcements, professional learning opportunities, and promising practices with a monthly newsletter from the EL Instruction Specialist.
WIDA English Language Development (ELD) Standards
(Virginia joined the WIDA Consortium in 2008)
- WIDA English Language Development Standards Framework, 2020 Edition: Kindergarten-Grade 12-This is a PDF document.
- English Language Proficiency (ELP) Performance Definitions-This is a PDF document. – WIDA’s ELP Performance Definitions are the foundation of the ACCESS for ELLs Assessment rubrics. Virginia uses the ACCESS for ELLs Assessment to determine English Proficiency Levels, and to track English language development progress and proficiency.
- Speaking and Writing Interpretive Rubrics-This is a PDF document.
Additional WIDA Resources
- Guiding Principles for Language Development
- WIDA Lesson Plan Example: Grades K-5-This is a PDF document.
- WIDA Lesson Plan Example: Grades 6-12-This is a PDF document.
Virginia Standards of Learning
Professional Development, Professional Standards, and Licensure Information
- WIDA Self-paced eWorkshops-This is a Word document. - Learn how to request free access for Virginia educators and available anytime.
- University and College Courses for TESOL in VA-This is a Word document.
- Ed.D. in TESOL and Bilingual Education Programs- Information about TESOL Ed.D. programs across the United States
Virginia-Based Organizations with Annual Conferences
- Virginia Association for Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (VATESOL)
- Virginia ESL Supervisors' Association (VESA)
Professional Standards and Principles
- Virginia Standards for the Professional Practice of Teachers: Teachers of English as a Second Language (pages 23-26)-This is a PDF document.
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards: English as a New Language-This is a PDF document.
- TESOL’s Six Principles for Exemplary Teaching of English Leaners
Licensure and Endorsement Information
- English as a Second Language Prek-12 Endorsement requirements (Administrative Code)
- Obtain Initial Teaching Licensure or Earn a degree with a focus on TESOL
- Add an ESL endorsement to an existing Virginia Teaching License by taking the Praxis English to Speakers of Other Languages Test-This is a Word document.