External Resources by Topic
The links below lead you to websites not associated with the Virginia Department of Education. VDOE does not necessarily endorse the views expressed or the data and facts presented on these external sites. VDOE does not endorse or recommend any commercial products, processes, or services.
The sections below include:
- Instructional Resources in response to COVID-19
- Resource Lists
- Professional Learning
- EL Instruction Research and Best Practices
- Collaboration and Co-Teaching
- Culturally Responsive Instruction
- Dual Language
- Family Engagement
- General Resources and Databases of Resources
- Leadership for Equity
- Technology and Virtual Learning
- Specific Content Areas (Humanities, STEM)
- Specific Demographics of ELs (Newcomers, Dually Identified)
News & Announcements
New WIDA English Language Development (ELD) Standards Framework, 2020 Edition Now Available!
WIDA just released a new edition of the English Language Development (ELD) Standards Framework. Visit the WIDA website for the latest information.
English Learner Newsletter
Sign-up to receive EL specific news, announcements, professional learning opportunities, and promising practices with a monthly newsletter from the EL Instruction Specialist.
Instructional Resources in response to COVID-19
These Virginia-based and National EL-focused organizations curate resource lists that include links to multilingual communication supports, language-learning software and practice programs, leveled and multilingual reading resources, technology tools, and lesson planning resources and supports. Please refer to your division’s acceptable use policies when implementing technology tools, digital resources, and other instructional materials.
- Virginia ESL Supervisor’s Association (VESA)
- Virginia Teachers of English for Speakers of Other Languages (VATESOL)
- Metropolitan Educational Research Consortium (MERC) at VCU : Resources for English Learners, Families, and School Personnel during COVID-19 (Available in English and Spanish)
- National Association for English Learner Program Administrators (NAELPA)
These webinar recordings and articles provide on-demand professional learning support for educators and families providing remote instruction to ELs.
- Beyond Numbers: Language and Math in the Home (Center for Applied Linguistics): Webinar Recording
- Distance Learning for ELLs: Planning Instruction (Colorín Colorado): Article
- Ensuring Continuity of Learning and Operations (National Clearinghouse of English Language Acquisition)- Links to resources for facilitating online learning, resources to share, and distance learning plans
- Kitchen Chemistry and Backyard Biology: Language and Science in the Home (Center for Applied Linguistics): Webinar Recording
- Promoting Literacy in the Home (Center for Applied Linguistics): Webinar Recording
- Providing Services to English Learners during COVID-19 Outbreak- US Department of Education Fact Sheet-This is a PDF document.
- Putting the Social in Social Distancing: Promoting Oral Language Development in the Home (Center for Applied Linguistics): Webinar Recording
- Supporting Multilingual Learners (MLLs)/English Language Learners (ELLs) during the COVID-19 Shutdown-This is a PDF document. (The New Teacher Project/TNTP)- Article and List of Resources
- Teaching Multilingual Learners Online (WIDA)- Guiding Principles of Instruction with connected resources
EL Instruction Research & Best Practices
Instruction for ELs should include explicit academic language development strategies and scaffolds (WIDA ELD Standards) at the same time as grade-level content instruction (SOL).
Collaboration and Co-Teaching
- Collaboration: Working Together to Service Multilingual Learners (WIDA)-This is a PDF document.: Focus bulletin with infographic on pathways to implementation
- Collaboration and Co-Teaching: Google book, older edition shared with author’s permission/li>
- Lesson Planning Protocol (WestEd)- A protocol to support collaborative conversations around the tuning or validation of curriculum, instruction, and assessment resources.
Culturally Responsive Instruction
- Culturally Responsive Education Webinar Module (CEEDAR) Culturally Responsive Education Webinar Module – A course enhancement module (CEM) designed to ensure every educator meets the needs of each learner
- Culturally Responsive Teaching Checklist (Reimagining Migration) – Lists instructional actions and guiding questions
- Diversity Toolkit (NEA) – Online toolkit with strategies, tools, and suggestions for learning more
- Moving Toward Cultural Responsiveness-A Guide for Teachers: Includes infographics and guiding questions
- Preparing for Cultural Diversity (Edutopia): Article with resource links
- Teaching Tolerance – Standards for Social Justice Education
- Teachers Trauma Informed Toolkit – Video links and activity questions
Differentiation: Scaffolding, Supports, Strategies
- Building Blocks for the Success of English Language Learners (edWeb) Webinar, VA presenter
- GO TO Strategies (Center for Applied Linguistics) – List of scaffolding and engagement options and activities
- K20 Learn (University of Oklahoma) – Interactive database to search and filter strategies for engaging ELs
- Star Talk: Classroom Activities Collection (University of Maryland) Database for strategies, activities, and resources
Distance Teaching and Learning
- Engaging ELs and Families Through Distance Learning (OELA podcast)- Best practices and examples for continuous EL family and community engagement in the current remote environment.
- Teacher Collaboration: Aligning Content and Language Instruction (OELA & REL Southwest)– Webinar recording; examines the policy context for teacher collaboration toward ensuring EL academic success, shared research-based practices and resources, and highlighted promising practices for teacher collaboration and professional development in the post COVID-19 context.
- Benefits of Multilingualism-This is a PDF document. (OELA)- Infographic
- Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education (CAL) 3rd Edition, Resource outlining practices and policies
- National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE) – Articles and resources related to bilingual education
- Seal of Biliteracy – VDOE information on award certification for graduates
- ABCs of Family Engagement (WIDA)-This is a PDF document.- This guide presents six key considerations for strengthening family engagement practices and building relationships with families.
- Colorín Colorado – Bilingual site to search for articles, for educators and families of ELs
- Community and Family Toolkit (TESOLpress)- Lists best practices in engaging the families of English learners (ELs) in classrooms, schools, and communities
- Culturally Responsive Family Engagement (NYU)- List of practices for divisions, schools and educators
- English Learner Family Toolkit-This is a PDF document. (US Department of Education) - Lists of rights, resources, and questions for families to ask about their student’s education
- EL Family Engagement Webinar (OELA)- Recording and PDF of the presentation
- Family Connections through Home Languages (WIDA)- Flyer infographic in multiple languages (Arabic, English, Simplified Chinese, Spanish)
- Family Engagement Toolkit: Continuous Improvement Through an Equity Lens (WestEd)
- Focus on Family Engagement (WIDA)- Bulletin on family engagement strategies that includes a discussion tool for families
- Reading Tips for Parents (in Multiple Languages) (Reading Rockets)
General Resources and Databases
Searchable Databases and Sites of Resources and Articles:
- Colorín Colorado – Bilingual site for educators and families of ELs. Includes resources on a variety of topics.
- Edutopia- Articles for best practices in education (Note: Search “English Language Learners”, “Differentiation”, “Productive Talk”, etc.)
- English Language Learner/Multilingual Learner Educator Tools and Best Practices (NY State Department of Education) – A wide range of materials, scaffolds, curriculum modules, instructional briefs, and links to additional materials.
- EL Multiliteracy Symposium Archived Webinar (NCELA)
- EL Toolkit (US Department of Education) – Includes tools and resources for working with ELs
- National Association of English Learner Program Administrators – Provides lists of resources for supporting EL learning, periodic webinars, newsletters, and an annual national conference
- Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA) – Links to resources and guidance from the US Department of Education
- Enhancing Learning with Authentic Communication (Jeff Zwiers) – Site for resources, teaching tools, and videos featuring key engagement strategies focused on communication for content learning
- National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA) – Searchable database that includes research articles, literature reviews, reports, classroom materials, curricula, fact sheets, multimedia products, and more—to help stakeholders learn about and advance EL education
- Teaching Academic Content and Literacy to English Learners in Elementary and Middle School (Institute of Educational Sciences: What Works Clearinghouse): Guidebook
- Online Teacher Education Resources in ELT: Content-Area Language Demands (TESOL Blog)
- Understanding Language (Stanford University) – Resources for Language, Literacy, and Learning in the Content Areas , including Professional Learning Modules
Leadership for Equity
- Code of Conduct: A Guide to Responsive Discipline (Teaching Tolerance)
- College-Ready English Learners: New High School English & English Language Development Curriculum Promotes Equality (WestEd Webinar)
- Eight English Learner Myths for Administrators (Colorín Colorado)
- Framework for Raising Expectations and Instructional Rigor for English Language Learners-This is a PDF document. (Council of the Great City Schools)
- Key Steps for Implementing a Schoolwide Approach That Supports K-8 Emergent Bilingual Students: ASCD Webinar
- Promoting Success for Teachers of English Learners (CCSSO)-This is a PDF document. – Tool based on Marzano Framework for teacher evaluation
- Promoting Success for Teachers of English Learners Through Structured Observations (CCSSO)-This is a PDF document. – Research Report
Technology and Virtual Learning
- How to Use Technology to Support ELLs in Your Classroom (Common Sense Education) – Article that describes 5 strategies with links to tools and resources
- Supporting English Learners (ELs) Through Technology Webinar (OELA) -Recording and PDF of the presentation slides
- Using Educational Technology- 21st Century Supports for English Learners (US ED): Toolkit-This is a PDF document.
Specific Content Area Connections
Humanities (ELA, Fine Arts, History, Social Sciences)
- Art as a Tool for Teachers of English Learners-This is a PDF document. (NY State Education Department) – Handbook that includes approaches and strategies for arts integration for ELs
- ELLs and Social Studies-This is a PDF document. (New York University) – Teacher handbook with examples, resource links, and strategies
- ELs Need Arts Integration (Common Sense Education) –Article that includes sites and application suggestions for integrating the arts
- Navigating Text Complexity; Syntax (CCSSO)– List of considerations and strategies,includes additional links
- Scaffolding Writing through the “Teaching and Learning Cycle” (WestEd) – Research report that includes strategies
- Supporting English Learners with Close Reading Webinar Series (American Institutes for Research (AIR)
- Using the Arts to Support ELs (Kennedy Center) – Article that includes ideas and tips
STEM (Mathematics and Sciences)
- Doing and Talking Math and Science (WDA) – Site with teaching tools and videos
- Integrating Language While Teaching STEM (NCELA)- Practice Brief-This is a PDF document. and Podcast
- Framework for Re-envisioning Mathematics Instruction for English Language Learners-This is a PDF document.
- Improve Learning Outcomes in STEM for English Learners (National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine) – Consensus Report, free downloadable PDF of the book
- Teaching Mathematics to English Language Learners (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) – Position paper
Specific Demographics of ELs
Recently Arrived ELs (to the U.S. within the last 12 months)
- Newcomer Toolkit (US Department of Education)-This is a PDF document. – Includes tools and resources for working with Newcomer ELs
- Creating New Futures for Newcomers: Lessons from Five Schools that Serve K-12 Immigrants, Refugees, and Asylees (WestEd) – Research report that describes promising and effective strategies
- Exemplary Programs for Newcomer English Language Learners at the Secondary Level (Center for Applied Linguistics) – Research database and report
- Supporting Immigrants in Schools (CU NY)-This is a PDF document. – Resource Guide with lists of reading materials, curricula, and films for supporting immigrants in schools
- Welcoming Newcomers (Harvard School of Education) – Provides links to relevant research and resources
Dually Identified ELs (ELs with identified disabilities)
- Alternate English Language Learning Assessment Project (ALTELLA) – (Wisconsin Center for Educational Research in partnership with WIDA) – Reports and tools for supporting ELs with significant cognitive disabilities
- Focus On Providing ELLs with Disabilities Access to Complex Language (WIDA)- Informational bulletin-This is a PDF document.
- Identifying English Learners with Disabilities Infographic (Regional Educational Laboratory)
- Language Difference vs Language Disorder: Assessing English Learners (ODU Digital Commons) - Recording and handout available