External Resources by Topic
The links below lead you to websites not associated with the Virginia Department of Education. VDOE does not necessarily endorse the views expressed or the data and facts presented on these external sites. VDOE does not endorse or recommend any commercial products, processes, or services.
The sections below include:
- EL Instruction Research and Best Practices
- Collaboration and Co-Teaching
- Culturally Responsive Instruction
- Dual Language
- Family Engagement
- General Resources and Databases of Resources
- Leadership for Equity
- Technology and Virtual Learning
- Specific Content Areas (Humanities, STEM)
- Specific Demographics of ELs (Newcomers, Dually Identified)
News & Announcements
Find EL Instruction resources on #GoOpenVA! There is a specific group for English Learner Educators.
English Learner Newsletter
Sign-up to receive EL specific news, announcements, professional learning opportunities, and promising practices with a monthly newsletter from the EL Instruction Specialist.
Virtual Instructional Resources in response to COVID-19
These Virginia-based and National EL-focused organizations curate resource lists that include links to multilingual communication supports, language-learning software and practice programs, leveled and multilingual reading resources, technology tools, and lesson planning resources and supports. Please refer to your division’s acceptable use policies when implementing technology tools, digital resources, and other instructional materials.
- Virginia ESL Supervisor’s Association (VESA)
- Virginia Teachers of English for Speakers of Other Languages (VATESOL)
- Metropolitan Educational Research Consortium (MERC) English Learner Research and Evaluation Team (ELRET) at VCU - Resources for English Learners, Families, and School Personnel during COVID-19 (Available in English and Spanish)
- National Association for English Learner Program Administrators (NAELPA)
These webinar recordings and articles provide on-demand professional learning support for educators and families providing remote instruction to ELs.
- Beyond Numbers: Language and Math in the Home (Center for Applied Linguistics) - Webinar Recording
- Distance Learning for ELLs (Colorín Colorado) - Guide
- Empowering multilingual families of English learners during COVID-19 (MERC- ELRET)- Recording
- Engaging ELs and Families Through Distance Learning (OELA podcast)- Best practices and examples for continuous EL family and community engagement in the current remote environment.
- Engaging Language Learners in Online Instruction (Wisconsin Association for Bilingual Education)- Virtual Mini-Conference Recordings
- Ensuring Continuity of Learning and Operations (National Clearinghouse of English Language Acquisition)- Links to resources for facilitating online learning, resources to share, and distance learning plans
- Kitchen Chemistry and Backyard Biology: Language and Science in the Home (Center for Applied Linguistics)- Webinar Recording
- Promoting Literacy in the Home (Center for Applied Linguistics): Webinar Recording
- Providing Services to English Learners during COVID-19 Outbreak- US Department of Education Fact Sheet-This is a PDF document.
- Putting the Social in Social Distancing: Promoting Oral Language Development in the Home (Center for Applied Linguistics) - Webinar Recording
- Supporting Multilingual Learners during COVID-19 (WIDA)- Micro-Offering modules
- Supporting Multilingual Learners (MLLs)/English Language Learners (ELLs) during the COVID-19 Shutdown-This is a PDF document. (The New Teacher Project/TNTP)- Article and List of Resources
- Teacher Collaboration: Aligning Content and Language Instruction (OELA & REL Southwest)– Webinar recording
- Teaching Multilingual Learners Online (WIDA)- Guiding Principles of Instruction with connected resources
- Also see “Technology” section below
EL Instruction Research & Best Practices
Instruction for ELs should include explicit academic language development strategies and scaffolds (WIDA ELD Standards) at the same time as grade-level content instruction (SOL).
Collaboration and Co-Teaching
- Collaboration: Working Together to Service Multilingual Learners (WIDA)-This is a PDF document.: Focus bulletin with infographic on pathways to implementation
- Collaboration and Co-Teaching: Google book, older edition shared with author’s permission
- Lesson Planning Protocol (WestEd)- A protocol to support collaborative conversations around the tuning or validation of curriculum, instruction, and assessment resources.
Culturally Responsive Instruction
- Culturally Responsive Education Webinar Module (CEEDAR) – A course enhancement module (CEM) designed to ensure every educator meets the needs of each learner
- Culturally Responsive Instruction: Resource List (Center for Applied Linguistics)
- Culturally Responsive Teaching Checklist (Reimagining Migration) – Lists instructional actions and guiding questions
- Moving Toward Cultural Responsiveness-A Guide for Teachers: Includes infographics and guiding questions
- Preparing for Cultural Diversity (Edutopia)- Article with resource links
- Teaching Tolerance – Standards for Social Justice Education
- Teachers Trauma Informed Toolkit – Video links and activity questions
Differentiation: Scaffolding, Supports, Strategies
- Building Blocks for the Success of English Language Learners (edWeb) Webinar, VA presenter
- GO TO Strategies (Center for Applied Linguistics) – List of scaffolding and engagement options and activities
- K20 Learn (University of Oklahoma) – Interactive database to search and filter strategies for engaging ELs
- Star Talk: Classroom Activities Collection (University of Maryland) Database for strategies, activities, and resources
- Benefits of Multilingualism-This is a PDF document. (OELA)- Infographic
- Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education (CAL) 3rd Edition, Resource outlining practices and policies
- National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE) – Articles and resources related to bilingual education
- Seal of Biliteracy – VDOE information on award certification for graduates
Family Engagement and Resources for Families
- ABCs of Family Engagement (WIDA)-This is a PDF document.- This guide presents six key considerations for strengthening family engagement practices and building relationships with families.
- Colorín Colorado – Bilingual site to search for articles, for educators and families of ELs
- Community and Family Toolkit (TESOLpress)- Lists best practices in engaging the families of English learners (ELs) in classrooms, schools, and communities
- Culturally Responsive Family Engagement (NYU)- List of practices for divisions, schools and educators
- English Learner Family Toolkit-This is a PDF document. (US Department of Education) - Lists of rights, resources, and questions for families to ask about their student’s education
- EL Family Engagement Webinar (OELA)- Recording and PDF of the presentation
- Family Connections through Home Languages (WIDA)- Flyer infographic in multiple languages-Scroll down to see links to the various versions.
- Family Engagement Toolkit: Continuous Improvement Through an Equity Lens (WestEd)
- Focus on Family Engagement (WIDA)- Bulletin on family engagement strategies that includes a discussion tool for families
- Guiding Principles of Language Development (WIDA) (In Multiple Languages)- Scroll down to see links to the various versions.
- Language-Focused Family Engagement (WIDA)- Bulletin on family engagement strategies that includes vignettes and reflection questions
- Learning Language Everyday (in Multiple Languages) (WIDA)- Scroll down to see links to the various versions.
- Language Routines for Multilingual Families Infographic
- Parent and Family Digital Learning Guide (US Department of Education)
- Reading Tips for Parents (in Multiple Languages) (Reading Rockets)
- Special Education and Your Child: FAQs for Multilingual Families(Colorín Colorado)
General Resources and Databases
Searchable Databases and Sites of Resources and Articles:
- Colorín Colorado – Bilingual site for educators and families of ELs. Includes resources on a variety of topics.
- Edutopia- Articles for best practices in education (Note: Search “English Language Learners”, “Differentiation”, “Productive Talk”, etc.)
- English Language Learner/Multilingual Learner Educator Tools and Best Practices (NY State Department of Education) – A wide range of materials, scaffolds, curriculum modules, instructional briefs, and links to additional materials.
- EL Multiliteracy Symposium Archived Webinar (NCELA)
- EL Toolkit (US Department of Education) – Includes tools and resources for working with ELs
- Enhancing Learning with Authentic Communication (Jeff Zwiers) – Site for resources, teaching tools, and videos featuring key engagement strategies focused on communication for content learning
- National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA) – Searchable database that includes research articles, literature reviews, reports, classroom materials, curricula, fact sheets, multimedia products, and more—to help stakeholders learn about and advance EL education
- Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA) – Links to resources and guidance from the US Department of Education
- Online Teacher Education Resources in ELT: Content-Area Language Demands (TESOL Blog)
- Teaching Academic Content and Literacy to English Learners in Elementary and Middle School (Institute of Educational Sciences: What Works Clearinghouse)- Guidebook
- Understanding Language (Stanford University) – Resources for Language, Literacy, and Learning in the Content Areas , including Professional Learning Modules
Leadership for Equity
- Code of Conduct: A Guide to Responsive Discipline (Teaching Tolerance)
- Discerning and Fostering what English Learners Can Do with Language (CCSSO)- Appendix A has a Language Observation Sheet and Rubric for evaluating language use
- Eight English Learner Myths for Administrators (Colorín Colorado)
- Framework for Raising Expectations and Instructional Rigor for English Language Learners-This is a PDF document. (Council of the Great City Schools)
- Guide for Engaging ELL Families: Twenty Strategies for School Leaders (Colorín Colorado)
- Promoting Success for Teachers of English Learners (CCSSO)-This is a PDF document. – Tool based on Marzano Framework for teacher evaluation
- Promoting Success for Teachers of English Learners Through Structured Observations (CCSSO)-This is a PDF document. – Research Report
- How to Use Technology to Support ELLs in Your Classroom (Common Sense Education) – Article that describes 5 strategies with links to tools and resources
- Parent and Family Digital Learning Guide (US ED): Available in English and Spanish
- Supporting English Learners (ELs) Through Technology Webinar (OELA) -Recording and PDF of the presentation slides
- Teacher Digital Learning Guide (USED)
- Using Educational Technology- 21st Century Supports for English Learners (US ED): Toolkit-This is a PDF document.
Specific Content Area Connections
Humanities (ELA, Fine Arts, History, Social Sciences)
- Art as a Tool for Teachers of English Learners-This is a PDF document. (NY State Education Department) – Handbook that includes approaches and strategies for arts integration for ELs
- ELLs and Social Studies-This is a PDF document. (New York University) – Teacher handbook with examples, resource links, and strategies
- ELs Need Arts Integration (Common Sense Education) –Article that includes sites and application suggestions for integrating the arts
- Navigating Text Complexity; Syntax (CCSSO)– List of considerations and strategies,includes additional links
- Role of English Teachers in Educational English Language Learners (NCTE)- Position Paper
- Scaffolding Writing through the “Teaching and Learning Cycle” (WestEd) – Research report that includes strategies
- Supporting English Learners with Close Reading Webinar Series (American Institutes for Research (AIR)
- Using the Arts to Support ELs (Kennedy Center) – Article that includes ideas and tips
STEM (Mathematics and Sciences)
- Designing Equitable Engagement in Sensemaking (National Science Teaching Association)- Article
- Doing and Talking Math and Science (WDA) – Site with teaching tools and videos
- Integrating Language While Teaching STEM (NCELA)- Practice Brief-This is a PDF document. and Podcast
- English Learners in STEM Subjects: Transforming Classrooms, Schools, and Lives (National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine)- Research Report
- Framework for Re-envisioning Mathematics Instruction for English Language Learners (Council of the Great City Schools)-This is a PDF document.
- Improve Learning Outcomes in STEM for English Learners (National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine) – Consensus Report, free downloadable PDF of the book
- Math Resources for Meaning-making Activities(WIDA and NSF)- Resource List
- Science Resources for Meaning-making Activities(WIDA and NSF)- Resource List
- Teaching Mathematics to English Language Learners (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) – Position paper
Specific Demographics of ELs
Recently Arrived ELs (to the U.S. within the last 12 months, including SLIFE)
- Newcomer Toolkit (US Department of Education)-This is a PDF document. – Includes tools and resources for working with Newcomer ELs
- Creating New Futures for Newcomers: Lessons from Five Schools that Serve K-12 Immigrants, Refugees, and Asylees (WestEd) – Research report that describes promising and effective strategies
- Exemplary Programs for Newcomer English Language Learners at the Secondary Level (Center for Applied Linguistics) – Research database and report
- Serving Students with Interrupted Formal Education (Switchboard)- Recorded webinar
- Supporting Immigrants in Schools (CU NY)-This is a PDF document. – Resource Guide with lists of reading materials, curricula, and films for supporting immigrants in schools
- Welcoming Newcomers (Harvard School of Education) – Provides links to relevant research and resources
Dually Identified ELs (ELs with identified disabilities)
- Alternate English Language Learning Assessment Project (ALTELLA) – (Wisconsin Center for Educational Research in partnership with WIDA) – Reports and tools for supporting ELs with significant cognitive disabilities
- Being an ELL is not a Disability (Colorín Colorado)- Video
- Challenges in Special Education Identification for ELLs (Colorín Colorado)- Article with links and related videos
- Focus On Providing ELLs with Disabilities Access to Complex Language (WIDA)- Informational bulletin-This is a PDF document.
- Identifying English Learners with Disabilities Infographic (Regional Educational Laboratory)
- Language Difference vs Language Disorder: Assessing English Learners (ODU Digital Commons) - Recording and handout available
- Resources for Determining Special Education Eligibility of English Learners
- What Every Parent Should Know About Language Acquisition Milestones and Speech Disorders (Maryville University)