VDOE Documents & Resources
The sections below outline guidance and resources from:
- Policy & Assessment
News & Announcements
New WIDA English Language Development (ELD) Standards Framework, 2020 Edition Now Available!
WIDA just released a new edition of the English Language Development (ELD) Standards Framework. Visit the WIDA website for the latest information.
English Learner Newsletter
Sign-up to receive EL specific news, announcements, professional learning opportunities, and promising practices with a monthly newsletter from the EL Instruction Specialist.
VDOE Instructional Guidance and Resources
COVID-19 Outbreak and Distance Learning Related Resources
- Designing Remote Learning for English Learners-This is a Word document.
- Virtual Learning with English Learners -This is a PPT presentation.
- Culturally Relevant Remote Instruction Webinar Recording (#EdEquity Webinar Series)
- Multilingual/English Learner Students and Remote Learning Webinar Recording (#EdEquity Webinar Series)
Cross-Curricular EL Instruction
- EL Teacher Toolkit-This is a Word document. (includes Lesson Planning considerations, Scholar Sheets with examples of academic language sentence frames, lists of supports, "I can" statements for students, and Instructional Considerations by proficiency level)
- Teaching Content to ELs-This is a PPT presentation.
- English Learner Students in Virginia Portrait Infographic-This is a PDF document.
- Language Instruction Educational Program (LIEP) Models in Virginia-This is a Word document. – Chart with program models and descriptions
- Dual Language Immersion: Supporting K-12 Implementation in Virginia- Resource guide-This is a PDF document.
- Supporting Students with Limited or Interrupted Formal Schooling (SLIFE): Coming Soon!
- Supporting ELs with Suspected or Identified Disabilities:
- Handbook for Educators of English Learners with Suspected Disabilities-This is a Word document. | Handbook for Educators of English Learners with Suspected Disabilities-This is a PDF document.
- More Coming Soon!
- Professional Development Pathways-This is a Word document. – Document with links to a variety of topics and resources to support any educator working with an EL
- Social-Emotional Wellness- Considerations for English Learners Quick Guide-This is a PDF document.
- Superintendent’s Memo #050-19 - Resources to Support Student and Community Dialogues on Racism-This is a Word document.
Specific-Content Area EL Instruction
- English and Reading
- Academic Language: ELs in the English Classroom Webinar, Presentation-This is a PPT presentation., and Summary-This is a Word document.
- Fine Arts
- Supporting ELs in Fine Arts PowerPoint-This is a PPT presentation.
- Mathematics Instructional Enhancements and Equity for Diverse Learners Infographic-This is a Word document.and References List-This is a Word document.
- History Social Sciences
- Science Instructional Enhancements and Equity for Diverse Learners Infographic-This is a Word document.
- World Language
Sign up to stay informed about new, general education-instructional resources, professional development, and grant opportunities and other information of interest to teachers and their students with TeacherDirect
Find and share openly-licensed teacher-submitted-educational resources on #GoOpenVA
Policy and Assessment
Policy Guidance from the US Department of Education and the VDOE
- Dear Colleague Letter for ELs-This is a PDF document. – Joint guidance from the Office of Civil Right and the Department of Justice
- EL Toolkit – Resource from the USED that includes tools and resources for working with ELs
- Title III VDOE Web page: Language Instruction For English Learners & Immigrant Students – Information and links to important Virginia and Federal Guidance
- Virginia English Language Proficiency Assessments VDOE Web page – Information and links about ACCESS for ELLs, and other tests used in VA to measure language progress and proficiency
- Procedures for Determining English Learner Participation in the Virginia Assessment Program-This is a Word document.