World Language Academies
News & Announcements
2021 Governor's World Language Academies Applications
Applications for the summer 2021 Governor's World Language Academies are now available. Please review the Guide for Students and Parents/Guardians-This is a Word document. or the Guide for Schools-This is a Word document. as appropriate before beginning the process. Students must submit completed applications by January 25, 2021 and complete the online testing by January 29, 2021. Schools divisions must complete data entry and verification no later than January 29, 2021.
World Language Academies Schedule
As the situation regarding the current health crisis continues to unfold, the VDOE and host universities have been in frequent contact regarding the status of the 2021 programs. At this time, we are proceeding with plans for a normal in-person schedule. If public health conditions prevent the face-to-face Academies from taking place at their scheduled time and location, they will most likely be offered virtually. Refer to COVID-19 & Virginia Public Schools for up-to-date resources and information.
Since 1987, VDOE has sponsored Governor's World Language Academies, summer residential programs for Virginia's most motivated and talented world language students. As of 2020, more than 9,600 students have completed one of the programs. The 2021 Governor's Summer Residential World Language Academies will include full-immersion academies in French, German and Spanish; a partial-immersion Japanese Academy; and a Latin Academy.
Three 2013 Governor's Language Academies were the subject of a feature story on WVTF, the public radio station based in Roanoke, VA. Listen to the WVTF report - No English Allowed!
2021 Academies Applications & Resources
All application materials (except for online testing) must be completed and postmarked no later than January 27, 2020. Student status notices for the 2020 Academies will be sent in mid-April. See the sections below for applications and information about specific language Academies.
- Applications for Governor's World Language Academies – forms and instructions for the student nomination and application process as well as staff and teacher observer applications
- Order form – for the 2021 World Language Academies Online Testing Codes
- Private school Request for SSWS Access-This is a Word document.
- You may also be interested in Summer Residential Governor's Programs
- World Language Academies Purpose & Background
2021 Full Immersion Academies – French, German & Spanish
- Dates: June 19 – July 10, 2021
- Location: Washington & Lee University in Lexington, VA
- Website: Immersion Academies Website
- Contact: Email the Host Site Coordinator
French Academy Website – Welcome packets for students accepted to the 2020 Academies will be available beginning May 1, 2021.
German Academy Website – Welcome packets for students accepted to the 2020 Academies will be available beginning May 1, 2021.
2021 Partial Immersion Academies – Japanese and Latin
- Dates: June 20 – July 11, 2021
- Location: Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, VA
- Contact: Email the Host Site Coordinator
Japanese Academy Website – Welcome packets for students accepted to the 2020 Academies will be available beginning May 1, 2021.
For the full-immersion academies, all functions, from brushing one's teeth in the dormitory to class discussions to going swimming or on field trips, contribute to the academy purpose. Each academy is uniquely designed by its staff. Elements of a student's day in a language academy may include:
- Wake-up, breakfast
- Classes, such as:
- The economics of Latin America
- The unification of Germany
- Life in France seen from an economic perspective
- Great works of art
- Literary samplings
- A second language (Arabic, Korean, Greek, Russian)
- Another class (or two)
- Creative activities, such as:
- Journal writing
- DVD production
- Sports, games
- Films, music, theater, student and faculty talent presentations.
STARTALK foreign language programs
- In addition to The Governor’s Foreign Language Academies, there are other summer opportunities for foreign language students and teachers available through the federally-funded STARTALK programs. The availability of the STARTALK programs is dependent on annual grant funding. For information about STARTALK programs operating in Virginia and elsewhere, please visit the STARTALK website.