News & Announcements
Public Hearings for the Proposed 2022 Physical Education Standards of Learning and Physical Education Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework
The Virginia Board of Education announces two virtual public hearings for the proposed 2022 Physical Education Standards of Learning and Physical Education Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework– Tuesday, February 8, 2022 and Wednesday February 16, 2022. Information on each public hearing is listed below. To participate, please register in advance of the public hearing. Both public hearings are open to the public and will be livestreamed on the VDOE YouTube channel.
Public comments regarding the 2022 Physical Education Standards of Learning and Physical Education Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework will be received at firstname.lastname@example.org from January 27, 2022 – February 28, 2022, or at one of the public hearings.
- Physical Education SOL and SOL Curriculum Framework Virtual Public Hearing #1
- Date: Tuesday, February 8, 2022
- Time: 5:30p.m.
- Register for the February 8 Virtual Public Hearing
- Physical Education SOL and SOL Curriculum Framework Virtual Public Hearing #2
- Date: Wednesday, February 16, 2022
- Time: 7:30p.m.
- Register for the February 16 Virtual Public Hearing
For additional information about the proposed 2022 Physical Education Standards of Learning and Physical Education Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework, please contact Vanessa Wigand, Coordinator for Driver Education, Health Education, Family Life Education and Physical Education, Office of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Innovation, by email at Vanessa.email@example.com or by telephone at (804) 225-3300.
Physical education provides students with the knowledge, processes, and skills to become physically educated, physically fit and responsible in their physical activity choices and behaviors for a lifetime. Virginia's standards for physical education are grouped into five strands: skilled movement, movement principles and concepts, personal fitness, responsible behaviors and physically active lifestyle. The standards in each strand are sequenced to progress in complexity from grade level to grade level.
- Physical Education Program Guidelines for Public Elementary and Middle Schools (PDF)
- Nutrition & Physical Activity Best Practices Database – Includes results of wellness-related fitness testing, as well as information on successful programs and policies implemented by local school divisions designed to improve nutrition and physical activity in the public schools.
- Bicycle Safety
- Walk Smart, Virginia!
- Heart Healthy Resources for Schools: Nutrition and Physical Activitiy Guide (PDF)
- Governor's Physical Activity Awards Program brochure (PDF)
- Virginia's Wellness-Related Fitness Testing Program
- Guidelines for Policies on Concussions in Students-This is a Word document.
- Report: Fitness Data State Summaries
- Spring 2019-This is a PDF document.
- Spring 2018-This is a PDF document.
- Spring 2017-This is a PDF document.
- Spring 2016-This is a PDF document.
- Spring 2015 (PDF)
- Spring 2014 (PDF)
- Spring 2013 (PDF)
- Spring 2012 (PDF)
- Spring 2011 (PDF)
- Spring 2010 (PDF)
- Spring 2009 (PDF)
- Spring 2008 (PDF)
- Spring 2007 (PDF)
- Spring 2006 (PDF)
- Spring 2005 (PDF)
- Spring 2004 (PDF)
- Spring 2003 (PDF)
- Girls on the Run
- Physical Activity and Health: A Report of the Surgeon General
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency SunWise Program
- OPEN Physical Education Curriculum
- PE Central
- GOPHER Resources