Performance assessment measures subject-matter proficiency, requires students to apply the content and skills they have learned, and should present opportunities for students to demonstrate acquisition of the “Five C’s” – critical thinking, creativity, communication, collaboration and citizenship – described in the Board of Education’s Profile of a Virginia Graduate. Performance assessment can be summative or formative in nature. A summative performance assessment evaluates student learning and skill acquisition at the conclusion of a unit, course, etc. A formative performance assessment determines student mastery of content and skills during instruction. As students learn new skills and content, they should be given multiple opportunities to demonstrate mastery through the use of performance tasks. Both summative and formative performance assessments allow teachers and students alike to identify content that has been mastered, misconceptions, and gaps in learning. The evidence gained through performance assessment may be used to guide future classroom instruction.
Science resources for performance assessments will be updated as they become available.
Sample Third Grade Performance Assessments
- Lemonade Stand -This is a Word document.
- Simple Machines-This is a Word document.
- Soil Investigation-This is a Word document.
Other Performance Assessments
- Meaningful Watershed Education Experiences (targeted to 6th grade)-This is a Word document.
- Stoichiometry (Chemistry)-This is a Word document.
VDOE Common Rubrics
- 3-5 Scientific Investigation-This is a Word document.
- 3-5 Design Challenge-This is a Word document.
- 6-8 Scientific Investigation-This is a Word document.
- 9-12 Scientific Investigation-This is a Word document.
- 3-5 Scientific Investigation (student version)-This is a Word document.
- K-2 Scientific Investigation (student version)-This is a Word document.
- Teacher Guide to Using the Grade 3-5 Scientific Investigation Rubric-This is a Word document.