Special Education in Local and Regional Jails
The 1997 amendments to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act mandated that special education and related services be provided to all eligible students including those who are incarcerated. As a result, Virginia is implementing services to eligible students, who are incarcerated in local and regional jails. Under the Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia the operation of the jails is the responsibility of the local school division in which the local or regional jail is located.
- Special Education and Related Services in Local and Regional Jails: Guidelines for Best Practice-This is a Word document.
- Request for Student Records (Word)
- Non-Participation in Special Education and Related Services (Word)
- Setting up a Special Education Program in a Local or Regional Jail Checklist (Word)
- Administrative form
- Department of Criminal Justice Services
- Virginia Department of Correctional Education
- Correctional Education Association
- National Center on Education, Disability & Juvenile Justice
- U.S. Department of Justice
- Virginia Department of Juvenile Justice
- 2-1-1 Virginia