Civil Rights Data Collection (CRDC)
This page contains information on the Civil Rights Data Collection (CRDC), specifically geared for use of the CRDC in the development of State and local report cards. Data on this website is derived directly from the national public-use data file the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) prepares of the CRDC data. The school-level data are separated into State-specific data files and made available to States in order to ensure the data on report cards is consistent with the data that the U.S. Department of Education makes publicly available and that safeguard student privacy, while reducing burden for States. Go to the following to download the full, national public-use file.
About the CRDC
The Civil Rights Data Collection (CRDC) is a survey of all public schools and school districts in the United States. The CRDC measures student access to courses, programs, staff, and resources that impact education equity and opportunity for students. The CRDC is a longstanding and critical aspect of the overall enforcement and monitoring strategy used by the OCR. In addition, the CRDC is a valuable resource for other federal agencies, policymakers and researchers, educators and school officials, parents and students, and other members of the public who seek data on student equity and opportunity.
OCR places a high priority on ensuring the accuracy of CRDC data. The data submission system includes a series of embedded edit checks to ensure significant data errors are corrected before a district submits its data. Additionally, each district is required to certify the accuracy of its submission. Although OCR performs these robust data quality checks, there are known data issues and concerns. More information on data quality can be found in data notes.
Documentation and Resources
- Data Elements (pdf)- Provides the table structure and data elements for School-level CRDC data
- Flat File Specifications (XLS) – Contains the data elements collected in the 2017-2018 CRDC
- User Guide (PDF) – 2017-18 CRDC public Use data file user's guide
- Advanced Mathematics-This is CSV file.
- Advanced Placement-This is CSV file.
- Algebra I-This is CSV file.
- Algebra II-This is CSV file.
- Biology-This is CSV file.
- Calculus-This is CSV file.
- Chemistry-This is CSV file.
- Corporal Punishment-This is CSV file.
- Credit Recovery-This is CSV file.
- Dual Enrollment-This is CSV file.
- Enrollment-This is CSV file.
- Expulsions-This is CSV file.
- Geometry-This is CSV file.
- Gifted and Talented-This is CSV file.
- Harassment and Bullying-This is CSV file.
- International Baccalaureate-This is CSV file.
- Justice Facilities-This is CSV file.
- Offenses-This is CSV file.
- Physics-This is CSV file.
- Referrals and Arrests-This is CSV file.
- Restraint and Seclusion-This is CSV file.
- Retention-This is CSV file.
- SAT and ACT-This is CSV file.
- School Characteristics-This is CSV file.
- School Expenditures-This is CSV file.
- School Support-This is CSV file.
- Single-sex Athletics-This is CSV file.
- Single-sex Classes-This is CSV file.
- Suspensions-This is CSV file.
- Transfers-This is CSV file.
Documentation and Resources
- Code Book-This is an excel spreadsheet. – Describes the order, data field name, and data field description of the school-level data elements
- User Guide-This is a PDF document. – 2015-16 CRDC public Use data file user's guide
- Usage Agreement-This is a Text file. – Describes the requirements data user agree to comply with by downloading and using the CRDC data
Questions or Comments
If you have questions or comments about the CRDC data, please email OCR@ED.GOV.